1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT Year with no classroom! Advice?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by Miss_B_T, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Miss_B_T

Miss_B_T New commenter

I've just started my NQT year in a new school to discover that I do not have a classroom or a desk space. I'm also in two departments at complete opposite ends of the school! Any other classroom wanderers that have a good solution to staying organised and carrying everything I need between classrooms?
    Thanks!

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

What subject? i.e. what do you need to cart about with you?

I have never had my own classroom :( I'm an English teacher. I used to have a book bag with my pencil case in, and I'd put handouts in a plastic folder, and various other things that I might need such as my annotated copy of the text we were reading, or stickers, my seating plans etc. I'd have the kids collect piles of books from the classroom (if they weren't kept in one place, or if they had to be shared with another class). I also had to carry my laptop from room to room.

During my PGCE every single classroom had the exact same equipment in drawers - paper, coloured pencils, mini whiteboards etc. Is there somewhere you could do that in all the rooms you use? Or could you leave some stuff in your classrooms somewhere hidden?

One colleague used to drag about a small suitcase (seriously!) Another had a trolley thing. At the least ask for a box! Or bribe kids to be your sherpa.

pepper5 likes this.
  3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

The reality is that you are going to have to have a large bag or a suitcase trolley depending on the stairs involved! You need to check with your mentor about the arrangements and whether there is storage space somewhere else. Do also check that you are receiving your full statutory entitlements I posted information previously on this thread
    https://community.tes.com/threads/nqt-update.747095/

4. install

install Star commenter

1 Ask the school to buy you a carrier case on wheels - to save heavy lifting when moving

2 Tell your Mentor and ask for solutions

3 Ask for dedicated space in both rooms that you can agree is your's to put books - so no one else takes them by accident

4 Request a lockable cabinet in both rooms

5 Ask if you have priority over the set up of tables and layout as the nqt:)

Good luck:):):)

5. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Make sure you train the kids to take responsibility for their own books/stationery/resources as much as possible. Check ICT in each room and use electronic everything as much as you can. Homework should be emailed rather than paper copies.
    I am shameless in asking kids to move stuff for me. Be aware of manual handling guidelines (for you as well, now I think about it) and don't give them anything big or heavy. There are always kids who like a message to run.