1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT year through supply

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by ateacher2018, Apr 7, 2019.

1. ateacher2018

ateacher2018 New commenter

After recently leaving a post at a school, due to a bad experience, although successfully completing term 1 of my NQT year. I'm now going to complete the rest of the year through supply.

I'm due to have 2 observations by my external verifier during the remaining 2 terms. I've only just completed my 4th week of doing supply but I need to find a school to organise an observation. As I'm only doing short term supply though I feel abit panicky about sorting this out.

Due to the bad experience at the post that I left my external verifier knows alot of what went on and I feel like she just wants to just observe me and I feel like she's going to use what happened against me. My confidence is knocked but I feel like I'm letting myself down. Sorry if that doesn't make sense just very anxious about the whole situation. I'm doubting my own capability and feel abit lost with everything.

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Sorry, but I cant offer any advice about finding a school.

If you post this on the NQT forum, there may be additional readers who have gone through similar experiences. What you have experienced seems quite common but many people go on to get qualified and find their confidence returns.

Most people go through times when they lose faith in their capabilities, but you need to reflect on your achievements and give yourself credit for coming this far.

It takes 10,000 hours to perfect your craft. Study hard and make any changes you need to and learn what you can from your experience.

Let us know how you get on and take care to find decent schools to finish your training.

P.S. It is the Trainee and Student Teacher forum you need to post this in to get additional advice.

ateacher2018 and agathamorse like this.
  3. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Sorry, also look in New Teachers forum for similar threads ad yourd and to post. A lot of useful advice and posts in that forum.

4. TheOracleAtDelphi

TheOracleAtDelphi Occasional commenter

I hope this doesn't come across as negative - I know they constantly change the rules about induction (there were no external verifier observations when I did mine) but are you sure you can complete induction on short term supply contracts? I thought they had to be at least one term to count?

5. TheOracleAtDelphi

P.S. a colleague at a previous school had left their first school during the NQT year owing to a lack of support and restarted the following year at a different school and was signed off there. I think it is more common than people might think so please don't lose heart or confidence over it...

6. TheOracleAtDelphi

Of course that's easier said than done - bouncing back can be difficult but there is every hope!

ateacher2018, agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

You CANNOT complete your NQT year through short term supply - it is impossible.

You need to find yourself a long term placement or another more permanent position.

8. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

They do - and everything has to be set up by the LA and school/academy in advance so the paperwork can be sorted.

ateacher2018, agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  9. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

That’s what I thought as I read this thread. It was my understanding that you could only have a supply role of a term or more that would count towards your assessment. If you google “completing an NQT year on supply” you will find a lot of information on this topic including some TES threads.

ateacher2018 likes this.
  10. install

install Star commenter

Wait till you get a long term Supply - then do it. Doing Supply is tough as it is..

ateacher2018 and pepper5 like this.
  11. ateacher2018

Thank you all for your replies, I feel reassured.

Yes that makes sense in terms of completing it. I wont feel the extra stress then that I keep putting on myself!

pepper5 likes this.
  12. TheOracleAtDelphi

Are you primary or secondary? And if secondary are you in a shortage subject?

Unless you are in a part of the country that has a very late Easter, I think you would probably struggle to find anything long term to start after Easter so you would probably be best of doing short term for the Summer term and keep applying for September start jobs. If you don't have much luck finding a permanent or one year fixed term contract position, try for a maternity cover that will allow you to complete induction or ask your agency to put you for long term positions where the school will support you with it.
    Supply will hopefully go some way to rebuilding your confidence and give you more experience of what different schools are like and their expectations which will hopefully put you in a better place to restart and conplete induction. You will have some challenging days on supply but try not to let them affect you too much.

ateacher2018 and pepper5 like this.
  13. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Make sure you go to a decent school even if it means waiting as it will be worth it. The very last thing you want to do is go somwhere where the working conditions are awful.

14. ateacher2018

I'm in primary. Yes doing supply has made me realise which are nice schools already and some not so. Yes I don't plan on rushing in. I was offered long term at a school last week but I knew it wasn't the right school so kindly declined

agathamorse and Jesmond12 like this.
  15. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I have been doing short term supply since the end of January. I currently have two schools that I would not return to plus two year groups - both Y6 - in two schools where I refuse to go to. All issues are down to behaviour and lack of structure.

There are some lovely schools out there where the children know how to behave and where they have an excellent attitude towards learning. That is down to the ethos of the school.

agathamorse likes this.
  16. ateacher2018

This week I'm covering ks2 in a challenging school. The class I had today was year 6 and I was definitely not eager to return. Hopefully a different year group tomorrow!

agathamorse likes this.
  17. LostInBooks

LostInBooks New commenter

To add to this topic, it is NOT impossible to complete your NQT year on day to day supply IF you are in Wales. England has the specification that only long term supply contracts count.

Other than that, I would wait to find a maternity cover or something like that independently of agencies. This would make it easier to complete your NQT without worrying that the agency can pull you out at any moment.

I’m currently on day to day supply in South Wales and completing my NQT as I go. It’s hard to get evidence for some things especially if they’re linked to leadership. I do wish I had waited but the job situation is dire

18. ateacher2018

I'm in south Wales too! I've been logging sessions on short term but yes I'm definitely going to wait. Like you said with the uncertainty of work etc best to wait

agathamorse likes this.