1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT Year - School and Social Life Balance

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by mstilwell, Mar 12, 2012.

1. I'm graduating from University in July and I'm in the process of looking for jobs. Before I went to Uni I was heavily involved in my local theatre group, which I desperately want to continue to be a part of when I go back home. 
    The next show that my theatre group are doing is "The Sound of Music" in October. 

If I manage to get a job, I will begin my NQT year which I believe is pretty full on, as are rehearsals (up to 3 nights a week). However, I'm very well organised and motivated and I still think it's important to have a social life, so I will plan my time well. I want to see what teachers/headteachers think I should do, is it too much for an NQT to take on? It's been a huge part of my social life for years. Any advice is welcomed. 

Thanks

2. I'm graduating from University in July and I'm in the process of looking for jobs. Before I went to Uni I was heavily involved in my local theatre group, which I desperately want to continue to be a part of when I go back home. 
    The next show that my theatre group are doing is "The Sound of Music" in October. 

If I manage to get a job, I will begin my NQT year which I believe is pretty full on, as are rehearsals (up to 3 nights a week). However, I'm very well organised and motivated and I still think it's important to have a social life, so I will plan my time well. I want to see what teachers/headteachers think I should do, is it too much for an NQT to take on? It's been a huge part of my social life for years. Any advice is welcomed. 

Thanks

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

The PGCE year is also pretty full on so if you managed this year you may be okay (it all depends on the school). I'd wouldn't worry until you get a job personally. Hope you've started applying! x

4. I think it's really good that you have a hobby such as the one you have described. All too often, most of us teachers feel we haven't got the time to carry on with a hobby we had before the job!! If not the time, then the focus because of our minds being on other stressful things... all school related of course.
    Think what's really important is that you need to hold onto that, it's a source of enjoyment for you and that's so important. I am really organised myself but I always feel behind, my to do list never seems to have an end!

5. loranp

loranp New commenter

I'm a Brownie leader on a Monday. It's been more difficult recently because in January I started a new job which is quite a distance away from where I live so it's been hard to make sure I'm where I need to be by 5.45. But it is possible to juggle, I've been doing this since my PGCE year and I'm now in my second year of being qualified.

6. Thank you all for your advice, the bonus is that the production finishes on 12th October, so only a few weeks into term. I'll have to manage my time well during September/October.
    Thanks

7. If you are highly organised andthe production does not take most of the year but just a few weeks then it should be possible to combine both and, indeed mayeven be desirable so that you can balance life and work. Just don't underestimate the stress of a new post and an increased teaching load as well as starting a new job.
    The Sage

8. Would you therefore say in your professional opinion that the workload of a teacher isn't really getting any easier? I remember being told time and time again that it would get easier but I am struggling to see it.
    Best wishes.

9. What I am talking about here is the mkove from trainee to NQT - as a trainee your teaching load is less than that of a NQT (not always, but very often) and as well as having to cope with a 79% teaching load fivedays per wekk across the whole school year you are often settling into a new school with new policies and proceedures. Some NQTs are lucky in that they get a post in a school where they were on placment but many do not.
    As you pass through induction, gain exp[erience and work for a few years things do get easier, but even then all it takes is a change of year group (primary) or a snap inspection to ramp up the workload and stress - add to this changes in government policy and for all teachers there are differing workload demands - but with experience the changes may have less of an impact.
    The Sage

10. cupofteacher

cupofteacher New commenter

I completed my GTP in the school where I am now an NQT, others had always said this would make it a bit easier on the workload. I think they were right, but there is no way I could commit to a production whilst doing my job. Since September I have had extra curricular (3 nights a week), gcse revision, (2 nights a week) meetings (1 night a week), CPD and twilight when it pops up...in addition I felt a greater pressure with observations, therefore spending longer planning and preparing. Life work balance is something I really struggle with, and I think I am quite an organised person....Personally I wouldn't do your production, whilst I agree it is great to have a hobby it is a huge commitment!

11. RamC

RamC New commenter

I'm an NQT this year and would say that the first half term, (Sep-Oct) is the busiest and most stressful time so far. What with getting to know the students, planning, assessment and just sorting out classroom routines etc it really feels stressful. Also there are schools which have staff meetings and directed time after school hours and will expect you to be there for the duration. We often don't finish until 5.30 at some meetings for example. However, it is really good to have other activities other than school- but possibly making such a big commitment to both might be tough at that point in the year. If it were me, I'd maybe give that production a miss and then you'll know if you can happily manage it by the next one? All the best whatever you decide.