1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT year Question

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by zed99, May 3, 2019.

1. zed99

zed99 New commenter

My question is about how the two year NQT proposal being rolled out in 2021. I'm just curious about how it might affect people who have started their NQT year before 2021 but not completed it (have a term left).

I graduate in 2020 so would be in an NQT role as of September 2020.

Let's say I only manage to complete a term or two of my NQT year and then take a break- travel, pregnancy, work abroad etc.

If I went back into teaching the following year to finish the one term or so of my NQT year, would I fall under the new two year NQT proposal or would I be allowed to finish the time I have left on the current one year model?

Would appreciate any help. Thanks!

2. tillc

tillc New commenter

Hi Zed99,
    As I understand it, the 2-year NQT is about extra support, not about 2 probationary years instead of one. You still pass or fail your NQT year after 1 year, but you get another year of support and slightly reduced timetable. Under the new rules NQTs will be teaching 80% in the first year, 85% in the second year, then 90% after that like every other teacher. So whether or not you end up with a one-year or two-year NQT period it's not something to worry about.

Setsugetsuka likes this.