1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT Year Part Time

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by QuestionsAnswered, Jul 9, 2019.

1. QuestionsAnswered

QuestionsAnswered New commenter

Hello
    I completed my teacher training years ago and got a job as an NQT part time the January after I qualified. I worked at the school until the end of the summer term.
    The assistant head at the time informed me as I was working part time that this didn’t count towards my induction. Was that right?
    Many thanks in advance

2. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

It should count, depending on the number of hours you were doing. Two completed terms at half the hours should equate to one full term full time, so your first term should have been covered.

However, you don’t say whether any paperwork was completed. This is essential. You need to have all the necessary paperwork for that term, including observations and evidence of planning/progress. Most importantly, you need to have your end of first term report signed off by the school’s NQT mentor. I suspect from your post that this isn’t the case, otherwise you wouldn’t be asking.

3. QuestionsAnswered

QuestionsAnswered New commenter

Thank you for your reply.

I was working 12.5 hours across 5 days including 10% PPA time. 0.3?

I had a few observations but nothing else as they said I worked too few hours for it to count. So I guess if it didn’t add up to a full term that is right?

Thanks again

4. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

Looking at those figures I’d guess it would only add up to about 2/3 of a term, so it won’t count.