1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT year overseas in COBIS inspected school - will it count back home?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by whereflowersgrow, Mar 14, 2012.

1. whereflowersgrow

whereflowersgrow New commenter

Hello everyone,

I am sure this question has been asked before, but in light of the new legislation coming into force I was wondering if anyone can give a definitive answer on this! I understand that British schools overseas who have passed a COBIS inspection since Sept 2011 *can* offer the full NQT support package, and that this is transferable to LEAs in the UK.

I am waiting to hear back from my LEA in the UK if they will indeed accept an NQT year completed abroad in a COBIS inspected school. Does anyone have any further information about NQT years done in COBIS schools and the liklihood of LEAs back in the UK accepting them? And what happens if the LEA back home *doesn't* accept the NQT year completed overseas? I am due to start my NQT in a COBIS inspected British school in Europe in Sept 2012. I finished my PGCE in July 2011.

Many thanks in advance for your responses!

2. whereflowersgrow

whereflowersgrow New commenter

This is the information I have found online: http://www.cobis.org.uk/news/cobis-update-following-the-nqt-statutory-induction-dfe-consultation.html

If it does get approved by the DfE, will LEAs *have* to accept NQT years completed in COBIS schools?

3. It is the intention of the DfE to get new legislation passed in the commons to allow induction to be completed in such schools overseas. At present we do not have a definite date (April was mentioned but I cannot find yet any announcement that states that the bill is due to be presented for changing the current law and induction regulations.
    The Sage