1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT year overseas in COBIS inspected school - will it count back home?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by whereflowersgrow, Mar 14, 2012.

1. whereflowersgrow

whereflowersgrow New commenter

Hello everyone,

I am sure this question has been asked before, but in light of the new legislation coming into force I was wondering if anyone can give a definitive answer on this!

I understand that British schools overseas who have passed a COBIS inspection since Sept 2011 *can* offer the full NQT support package, and that this is transferable to LEAs in the UK.

I am waiting to hear back from my LEA in the UK if they will indeed accept an NQT year completed abroad in a COBIS inspected school.

Does anyone have any further information about NQT years done in COBIS schools and the liklihood of LEAs back in the UK accepting them? And what happens if the LEA back home *doesn't* accept the NQT year completed overseas?

I am due to start my NQT in a COBIS inspected British school in Europe in Sept 2012. I finished my PGCE in July 2011.

Many thanks in advance for your responses!

2. whereflowersgrow

Hello everyone,

I am sure this question has been asked before, but in light of the new legislation coming into force I was wondering if anyone can give a definitive answer on this!

I understand that British schools overseas who have passed a COBIS inspection since Sept 2011 *can* offer the full NQT support package, and that this is transferable to LEAs in the UK.

I am waiting to hear back from my LEA in the UK if they will indeed accept an NQT year completed abroad in a COBIS inspected school.

Does anyone have any further information about NQT years done in COBIS schools and the liklihood of LEAs back in the UK accepting them? And what happens if the LEA back home *doesn't* accept the NQT year completed overseas?

I am due to start my NQT in a COBIS inspected British school in Europe in Sept 2012. I finished my PGCE in July 2011.

Many thanks in advance for your responses!

3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Let's just suppose, just for the sake of argument, that you were the principal of an LEA school in the UK and you needed to recruit a new teacher. Would you want to recruit someone who had done some (perhaps even all) of their training overseas, maybe in an international school that was in many ways different to yours, or would you prefer to employ someone who had actually completed all of their training at similar schools to yours in the UK?
    Well, wheretheflowersgrow, I hope that you make the right decision.

4. The Hippo makes a good point. It may be that you teach MFL or Physics or you decide to teach in an area that is short of teachers (if they still exist, which I suspect they don't). But I think you have to accept that you are putting yourself at a disadvantage, and that's assuming your COBIS school manages to get you through all those bureacratic hoops during your NQT year.

5. whereflowersgrow

Thank you for not actually answering my question and for butting in with your own opinion, which is largely irrelevant to the question I asked in the first place!

I've been lurking on the TES forums for a few years but am always put of posting by the attitude of a lot of the people who are active on these forums.

I have good reasons for completing my NQT year abroad and I doubt it will put me at such a disadvantage over other candidates, in fact it could actually be an advantage showing adaptability, flexibility etc. I have strong merits as a teacher and any head teacher put off by my international experience would not be running the kind of school I'd like to work in anyway.

Anyway, my question was concerning legislation about NQT years completed abroad in COBIS schools. For any potential NQTs who might be reading this and are interested in the facts as they stand, I have since found out that a recent consultation paper suggests that changes may be made so that some international schools abroad (COBIS inspected since Sept 2011) may be able to offer fully supported NQT induction from September 2012. The outcome of the consultation paper will be announced on the DfE website in April.

6. aridion

aridion New commenter

Whereflowersgrow, do you not think that some of the posters that answered your question may have vast experience of working abroad and have experience of NQT's returning home to look for a teaching position. I am sure they have! Also, it is up to the school if they want to employ a teacher that gained their NQT year at a COBIS school abroad. As Hippo said, many may want to employ someone who did their NQT in the UK.

Anyway, I hope you get good news from your LEA.

7. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Flowers, you are correct about the new dispensation.
    Other posters are also right, perhaps, to question whether this will make a difference to dyed-in-the-wool parochialist heads back in the UK, if and when you choose to return.
    But yes, COBIS schools inspected by one of the bodies accredited by the UK government are now empowered to go through the appropriate process and confer QTS on such newly qualified teachers as they employ.
    For further detailed information I suggest you contact the executive director of COBIS who has an office in St Mary's University College, Twickenham. You can find him on the COBIS web site and he is efficient, helpful and up to date. Other posters on here may be one or two of these things but he is all three. He shares a name with a Manchester City and England football star of the 70s and in his own field is equally stellar. Call or mail him. Just for once, I know whereof I speak.

8. whereflowersgrow

Yes, I am sure they do have experience of working abroad and of NQTs returning home to look for a teaching position. But they didn't answer my question - I wasn't asking whether or not people think it's a good idea to do NQT year overseas- I did a search of the forums about doing NQT year overseas and found a swathe of similar comments about warning people against doing their NQT year abroad, many points of which I am sure are valid, many more of which I feel are pessimistic comments from close-minded heads who will no doubt miss out on hiring excellent teachers that don't fit the norm. Anyway, in my current situation, I don't have much choice about whether or not to do my NQT year overseas - I have to. What I wanted to know was what the current (or near future) situation will be from an administrative point of view when I go back to the UK.

SMT_dude, thanks very much for clarifying the situation and for advice about who to contact. That's really useful. It's pretty confusing with all the legislative changes going ahead but it's looking good for Sept 2012!!

9. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Well, perhaps it is not looking quite so good for Sept 2012 because everyone knows that it is the most rubbishy international schools that hire NQTs. Most proper international schools will not consider taking them on. As for offering an NQT a one year contract, I would say that this also sounds rather fishy to me. Two years is the norm, wheretheflowersgrow. (Of course most schools will be eager to grab any Chemistry or Physics teachers, whether NQTs or not.)
    If you go to the "Unemployed Teachers" forum, you will see that there are plenty of teachers in the UK that do not have jobs at the moment. No doubt some of them consider themselves to be "excellent teacher that don't fit the norm". Are you, by any chance, related in some way to David Getling?

10. Hi
    I moved to the middle easet straight after qualifying so did not complete my NQT. There are some ruthless schools around so be carefull. Which country are you going to?
    I am a physics teacher so managed to get into a good school, but.........not the best! The school system is exactly the same as any UK school but unfortunately NQT support is not available as yet?
    There are a lot of self important people out there who think they know the lot and will say blah blah 5 years well thats been scrapped.
    It is my last year abroad as I am returning to the North west. I am hunting for a physics position at the moment so will keep you informed of my situation and if I have problems.

11. Well I was only trying to be helpful.
    As I am sure the OP already knows the roles of LEAs in all of this are becoming less important due to the growth of academies. As such it may be that there may not be a uniform policy on such things any more and it may be down to the decision of individual schools.
    Good luck, and sorry for butting in.

12. By the time you get back the law will have changed and no-one will give a sh+t.

13. whereflowersgrow

Haha, that is a good point, Oldgit61!

DSJones, I'd be really interested to hear how you get on when you get back to the UK. I wish you good luck with it. I've got a job in a good school which I am already familiar with (I'll PM you the country if you're interested). I also used to teach in the Middle East so am interested to hear where you are at the moment :)