1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT year in FE?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by evilpixie, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Hi,

I'm doing secondary ICT PGCE (11-18) and have seen a computing job in a sixth form
    Can I do my NQT year in an FE college?

Thanks

Kim

2. Hi,

I'm doing secondary ICT PGCE (11-18) and have seen a computing job in a sixth form
    Can I do my NQT year in an FE college?

Thanks

Kim

3. Hi
    It is possible to do inuction inan FE setting. What ypou must do is establish if the college is willing to take on induction and then they must get the agreement of the LA to offer induction. This will mean that you must have all the benefits of a reduced timetable, mentor etc that someone on induction has in a state schoiol. The college must also agree to assess and provide all thge necessary paperwork.
    You will also have to be teaching certain classes for the induction to count e.g. it cannot be exclusively adults in an FE setting.
    Look carefully at the induction standards and you will see what the terms and consitions are for induction in an FE setting.
    http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/_doc/12703/080623%20Induction%20Statutory%20Guidance.pdf
    James

4. Thanks James
    The guideline and the wording of the app etc look like NQT would be OK but I'm not 100%
    Part of me says go for it as jobs are rare
    Part says it's still early and the other part says I am training for 11-18 and love the idea of having fun with KS3
    I'm going for a walk and talk next week before deciding if I will apply
    Kim

5. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

IApply! have noticed a considerable fall in demand over the last couple of years for ICT in secondary. This is likely to be accelerated if the new National Curriculum excludes IT. THe Sixth Form Centres are usually pretty good at linking with LA's to provide induction.

6. Thanks VERY much for that one!!
    I'm got a visit booked for next Friday which gives me 1 week to sort an application if all is good!