1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT year in EYFS. Will it affect ability to get a job in KS1/2?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by maninhisprimary, May 19, 2011.

1. maninhisprimary

maninhisprimary New commenter

I'm lucky enough to have been offered a job at my training school where I am in Year 2. I thought the job would be for Year 2 where there is a space from Sept. However, head has said it will be in reception. I have been there before and not keen to go back and was really looking to move up into KS2 if anything. After this year, will I be stitching myself up for future jobs in KS2 by doing EYFS for my NQT year? Thanks.

2. maninhisprimary

maninhisprimary New commenter

I'm lucky enough to have been offered a job at my training school where I am in Year 2. I thought the job would be for Year 2 where there is a space from Sept. However, head has said it will be in reception. I have been there before and not keen to go back and was really looking to move up into KS2 if anything. After this year, will I be stitching myself up for future jobs in KS2 by doing EYFS for my NQT year? Thanks.

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Once induction is out of the way then schools will move staff around to suit the vacancies and usually there is no shortage of openings at KS2 which tends to be the least popular end of primary.At the monment with the shortage of induction posts you should consider the opportunity very carefully

4. zippygeorgeandben

zippygeorgeandben Occasional commenter

I wouldn't say that you are 'stitching yourself up' for future roles. To have a good breadth of Primary Education can only be a good thing. Did you do the Reception placement at the same school or a different one? No 2 Reception classes are the same.

5. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I started in a mixed age Reception/1/2/class seven years ago and have now taught every year group up to and including yr 6!

6. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Why is KS2 less popular Welsh Wizard?