1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT year in English but not PGCE - advice needed!

Discussion in 'English' started by guineastar, May 17, 2020.

1. guineastar

guineastar New commenter

I completed my PGCE in MFL this year. I have been offered a role that is 50% MFL 50% English. I have taught ESL privately and tutored 1:1 at GCSE and A-level. However, I was wondering if anyone could help me. I have read the NC guidelines and have tried to access various SoWs. I am still at a bit of a loss as to what milestones students should be reaching in each year group.

For example:
    Would it be appropriate to start introducing terminology such as dramatic irony to year 7? What skills should a high ability year 8 be doing?

If anybody has any suggestions for sites/links it would be much appreciated.

2. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

You'll be fine. In some ways your knowledge of grammar will be superior to that of your PGCE English-trained colleagues. You are also asking the right questions.

What's the setting? Does the school have a large EAL in-take? In which case they may have recruited you with a plan to have you teach TEFL style lessons to classes of recent arrivals to the UK.

As to when to introduce certain concepts: any concept can be introduced at any time IF you couch it in age-appropriate examples. But you should look to your NQT Mentor and the English Head of Department for more specific guidance about the individual school's expectations here.

Your next step, if I were you, is to ask for all the schemes of work for the Autumn term of the Years you would be teaching. Make sure you have read the texts and you understand the mark schemes (ask more questions if you don't).

If you have more specific questions, feel free to starta conversation.

Good luck!

Lidnod likes this.