1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT year in different year group

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by SBmiah01, Jun 26, 2020.

1. SBmiah01

SBmiah01 New commenter

Hoping someone could help me. I have passed 2 terms of my induction year. Due to covid my induction has been extended. I was told as I haven't taught whole classes in school, I haven't had enough time to demonstrate my practise. Now my HT has made the decision to move me from the year group I teach to another year group even though HT said previously I would remain in my current year group to embed my learning next academic year. Can NQTs be forced to move year groups within the induction year? I would prefer to stay in the same year group as I am to make it easier with workload.

2. 43Meadows

43Meadows New commenter

I don’t know the answer, maybe someone does will answer, but I’d say yes they can. I’ve worked in schools where experienced teachers have moved year group part way through the year to cover staff leaving etc.

try to look at this from a different perspective. Maybe the HT has seen skills in you that would be a better fit in another year group and wants to give it a try. You never know, it could be the making of you.

3. phatsals

phatsals Senior commenter

I suspect this is a staffing structure issue, not an NQT one. By that I mean that staff may be moved around each September to different year groups, you will have been part of the change, but as a fully fledged teacher. Like many, your NQT year has been extended but the school plans haven't changed. Rather than scupper the new staffing structure the HT has decided you can finish your year in your new year group.

4. ajc89

ajc89 Occasional commenter

Not sure how you could have gone through 2 terms and not taught whole classes in school....

but yes, you can move classes. I started my nqt in one year group, then the next academic year I got moved to another year group and then I finished my nqt in another school in a different key stage! So is completely acceptable. It’s good to move year groups anyway as it makes you flexible and you might actually prefer a different year group of KS. That’s what I found, I thought I liked one year group and then I taught the complete opposite and actually prefer that!

5. SBmiah01

SBmiah01 New commenter

I did teach whole classes for 2 terms. Since 1st June, haven't taught whole classes due to phased returns and bubble size restrictions. Thankyou for your advice. Much appreciated.

6. SBmiah01

SBmiah01 New commenter

Thankyou for your reply.