1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT year in different subject (English).

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by guineastar, May 18, 2020.

1. guineastar

guineastar New commenter

I completed my PGCE in MFL this year. I had been offered a role that is 70% MFL 30% English. This has now changed to 8% English. I have taught ESL privately and tutored 1:1 at GCSE and A-level. However, I was wondering if anyone could help me. I am still planning to take the job as I have had at least 5 interviews that haven't even bothered to get back to me (since March) and this is an outstanding school. If anyone could give me any more assistance asI have read the NC guidelines and have tried to access various SoWs, but, I am still at a bit of a loss as to what milestones students should be reaching in each year group.

For example:
    Would it be appropriate to start introducing terminology such as dramatic irony to year 7? What skills should a high ability year 8 be doing?

If anybody has any suggestions for sites/links it would be much appreciated.

2. guineastar

guineastar New commenter

80% English due to current staffing.

3. KCSociologist

KCSociologist New commenter

I definitely covered dramatic irony a little bit with my year 7s during my PGCE, they were a mixed set. Talk to the english department!! They will know what they want covered and if you explain you did your PGCE in MFL and just want to look at their medium/long term plans to get your head around it all they'll understand :D

I know someone else who has done what you did, MFL and then ended up teaching English, so don't worry! You're gonna do great.