1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT year finishes in December

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by redbutterflyef54, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Dear all, any advice would be greatfully received.

I am currently and NQT on a temporary contract, going to a new school in September 2010. My induction year began in January 2010, so therefore will end December 2010. I am currently on M1 salary, can I expect my salary to increased to M2 in Januray 2012? or do I have to wait until September 2012 to move up?

I am starting my new job at the same time as a brand new NQT, with less 'life' experience prior to undertaking ITT. I also did the GTP route as opposed to the PGCE route, so have had more classroom experience too. Is it unreasonable to be a bit miffed if we are both on the same salary for the same period of time, effectively putting me 2 terms behind my peers from ITT.

Does this make sense? I have a meeting with my new school this week to discuss ins and outs of position so just want to get it all straight in my head before.

Thanks.

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Your dates are a little confusing! If you began induction in Jan 2010 you should have ended in Dec 2010 and gone onto M2 in Sept 2010. If you mean you began in Jan 2011 and will finish in Dec 2011 your salary will rise to M2 this September.

3. sorry yes, that's what I mean...... Not a good start on a Sunday is it. Thanks for the advice though.

4. Yes I did get paid more to do GTP.... because that's the way I chose to do my training... all options available to everyone.... and I worked my butt off to get on the course. I did have a mortgage to pay at the same time and took a rather susbstantial pay cut to follow my dreams, making GTP the only financially viable option to me. For the record paying a mortgage and supporting a husband out of work is not an easy thing to do, so let's not get into that old argument.

I was asking for clarification as to if pay can change in the middle of an academic year. I started my NQT year in Jan, so in September I will still have 1 term left of my induction year. Had I started in September I would be moving to M2 at the start of this job, but not the case in this situation.

I also think you will find if you read other forums people do have salary increases in relation to 'life/ career' experiences prior to undertaking ITT. My previous career gives me substantial added value for this particular role, and as a result I will be taking on extra responsibilites not usually given to NQTs. So actually I think it reasonable to ask the question about salary, if I am to initially be on the same salary as straight out of uni and PGCE with no extra responsibilites. I would also be starting with a years classroom based training behind me, and 2 terms in a very challenging school - which the other would not.

As it turns out this was not relevant as the school have their own pay scale based on responsibilites etc. I was merely trying to not go into these discussions with the school blind.

5. I did my NQT in 2 parts so was effectively at MPS1 for 2 years, possibly niaive of me but that's what I expected.

6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I've no idea why you're being so aggressively snippy - you asked for advice, it was given. That it might not be what you want to hear isn't my fault, is it? I fail to see why you expect to get more pay than someone who's done PGCE and also worked 'their butt off'. I'll say again, as an experienced headteacher - you don't get paid more for 'life experiences', just if you've done a job directly relevant to teaching for long enough.
    And your personal circumstances are your affair - you won't get more pay because you're supporting your husband.

7. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Makes no difference. "Life experience" is not a factor which the School Teachers Pay and Conditions Document (STPCD) takes into account.
    Makes no difference either.
    Yes it is.
    It is also unreasonable for you to be 'miffed' at MiddleMarch's considered response to your OP. You asked for advice. You got it from a HT with more than enough professional experience (as opposed to 'life experience') to answer your question. Just because you did not like her answer does not give you grounds for rudeness.

8. I apologies Middlemarch... I actually read your comments as aggressive and responded accordingly... may have just have been the stressed out mood I was in yesterday. Apologies again. I appreciate the advice, I wasn't expecting more pay because of the route of my ITT, it probably came across in the wrong way, I was merely pointing out that I have had 2 terms more experience, and was asking the question as to if that meant I would effectively remain on the same pay as I am now for a further academic year - I felt I was infact being penalised for being a January starter (my ITT ran January to January). I also knew that some people have reported that schools have the power to move you up a pay scale should your previous experience directly relate to the teaching (which is doesn't in my current infant school in particular, but will in my next school).

I don't think it unreasonable to try and get the full picture of what is normal BEFORE going into such discussions with a new school. I was not sure if it was possible to move pay scales in January, or if I would have to wait until the following September. As I said before, as it turns out this is irrelevant because my new school has their own pay scale based on additional responsibilities of which I will have plenty.

Before people start laying into me about it not being about the money.... I'm affraid it is a factor coming off the back of 2 years when my partner got made redundant twice and I was on a training salary with a mortgage to pay. I need to consider all options.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and I hope I have not offended.

9. Thank you for your response nomad - see my response to Middlemarch.

I still think a full 2 terms experience and transferable skills should count for something over someone with none?

10. Of course I would NEVER expect this... I was only saying that to make my point that I do have to consider salary in quite a lot of depth because of the circumstances - and I had been offered a perm. contract at my current school.

I'm sorry I have not made myself clear... those reports really must have made me not very good at communicating of an evening!

11. strawbs

strawbs Occasional commenter

As Carrie says, you should go to M2 in Sept irrespective of your NQT status as you will (I presume) have worked for 26 weeks at M1. Salary changes happen in Sept, and do not depend on end of NQT status.

12. strawbs

strawbs Occasional commenter

The only awkward bit may concern your hours - as an NQT in Sept you will still need a reduced t/table; but will no longer need it in Jan.You may wish to enquire if you will be asked to take on any additional periods from that point.