1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

nqt year - at risk of failing after 1st term.

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by margjohn84, Jan 1, 2012.

1. On teaching Practices I had very good and good from schools. I qualified in 2007 and went back to the school where I had worked for 30 years as an HLTA. In 2008 I took a job as a Reception Teacher in a 1 form entry school to cover the maternity leave of the fs coordinator- so I was on my own. My Ist lesson obs was satisfactory with elements of good.
    A Nursery Nurse in the school kept making negative comments about my class room and teaching, comparing me to the person I was covering, my confidence deteriorated. The school said that I was at risk of failing. I became stressed and had 4 weeks off with anxiety. I returned in January 2009 ,but things were no better- everything I did was critisied.
    I have been working on supplt. This includes 3 long term placements of a term (but it didn't count towards NQT ) covering ongoing long term absenteesim and have had no negative feedback from any schools.
    I now have the chance to cover PPA in eyfs and ks1 at a school where I have been since September.(via Agency). They said they will cover a term of my NQT. is it possible for me to turn the situation of at risk of failing around. Please help I am so worried about it.I would appreciate comments from those who have been in a sililar situation.

2. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

I mucked up two terms in my time. But just remember, it's the final one that counts - "Pass" that and you should be fine.
    The trick is to ensure you know what you did wrong before and constantly work on it. When I joined a different school (initially on supply) I made a conscious effort to make sure I didn't make the same mistakes. Eventually I got a full time position there and passed the third term.
    So, of course, it can be turned around. Just make sure you know your weaknesses and work on them - you don't have to be perfect, just make sure you get the basics sorted and remain consistent.
    A new environment often allows you to get out of the bunker mentality you will have likely developed when you were graded as likely to not meet the standards. Go into the new school and be who you need to be.