1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT year and work load

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by MBW2011, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Hi

I wondered if you could advise me as the best way to find out if I have been asked to do too much in my NQT year? I am finding my work load immense (working every weekend and evening in to the night most of the year so far since September) and am considering leaving teaching as don't want to have a job that does not allow me to have regular down time (I work through school breaks as well marking!).

Any advice welcome.

Thanks

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

It is hard to advise as it isn't clear from your post if you have too much to do or are simply spending too much time doing it.

What tasks do you do that you think are possibly not ones an NQT should be doing?

The only thing I could immediately say is that you need to get your class to peer and self mark sometimes, or do work that doesn't need you to mark it. That would free up break and lunchtimes for much of the week.

3. The NQT year is all about building your resources up, which is silly, why can't we all just use the same ones and spend our NQT years actually getting on with the teaching? Anyway, try and cadge resources off other people if you can, or from websites, or from books. Don't insist on writing your own all the time.

4. As a NQT you should have a reduction in your teaching timetable of about 19% - so if you look at a teacher who is notb a NQT and who is on a full normal timetable, yours should be 19% less (that is made up of PPA time and NQT time - both of which you must have by law).
    You should recycle resources and successful lessons from your training year and look to adapt resources for your classes from either others in the school or published resources.
    No 'standard'; publishewd resources or existing resources from other teachers will ever be 'perfect' for you - teachers have to adapt them to suit their teaching and the to fit the learner's needs. But that does not mean evereything must be created from scratch.
    James