1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

NQT Year and when to do it...

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Luke007, Jan 1, 2018.

  1. Luke007

    Luke007 New commenter

    Hi Guys/Girls

    I hope you're all O.K and are having a great holiday.

    I would just like some advice please. Firstly, after teaching in Thailand for four years and meeting my wife out there we decided that I should return to complete the PGCE. I'm currently undertaking the PGCE School Direct with QTS which has been great so far but I'm expecting it to get a lot harder next year.

    Naturally, as my wife is Thai, we would both love to start living together this year although we are aware that I may need to complete my NQT year in England. Therefore, could I ask for some advice on my options. Do I need to stay to do it? Will it be hard if I go to Thailand and return at a later date? I'm just so confused.

    Many thanks and happy new year!

  2. february31st

    february31st Established commenter

    I would complete the NQT/Induction year straight after you finish your PGCE, for many reasons. This will give you valuable experience to add to your CV. The difficult bit is having your wife stay in the UK with you during this time. While you are doing the Induction year your wife could start to study for her teaching qualification or take a course that allows access to a PGCE.

    Just to let you know some countries do not accept the School Direct PGCE as a teaching qualification.
  3. blueskydreaming

    blueskydreaming Lead commenter

    I took the OP to mean that he and his wife are living in separate countries while he completes the PGCE, and possibly the NQT year as well. His wife has no automatic right to enter the UK, she couldn't stay during his PGCE as he wouldn't earn enough to sponsor her, and she would have to pay international fees to study in the UK.

    @Luke007 I was in the same position as you a few years ago. I stayed in the UK and completed the NQT year. I'm glad I did, because I had the support of an amazing mentor, and I got to experience an outstanding department - these things are valuable because my international school in China is a complete joke, so if I'd gone there without my NQT year having been completed I would have really struggled. Also, you have to think of the future. You might get a job at a carp school in Thailand in the first instance (as better schools want two years' experience), but trying to move on later might prove challenging.
  4. february31st

    february31st Established commenter

    If the wife studies a recognised qualification she can obtain a study visa to be in the UK.

    I hope a NQT in the UK earns more then the minimum requirements to bring a foreign wife into the country.
  5. lottee1000

    lottee1000 Occasional commenter

    During his schools.direct he doesn't, and then to bring a spouse in on a long term visa you have to earn over 18,500 pounds for six months, so she couldn't join him until March at the earliest, perming the visa is granted immediately (it wouldn't be).
  6. Luke007

    Luke007 New commenter

    Thank you so much for your advice.

    Naturally me and my wife miss each other a lot and are hoping that we can start our lives together again in 2018.

    She is currently in Thailand working for the Thai government. Interestingly, it looks like she can come to the UK for a year to study and return to her job (which he's worked really hard to get) in the future. Therefore, it seems a realistic possibility that she can live here during my NQT year whilst I am earning over the required figure.

    It sounds like completing the NQT year in the UK would be advantageous and I am prepared to do this if it means better job prospects in the future. However, I was unaware that most international schools require two years experience. Fingers crossed this wont make too much difference in the future!
  7. february31st

    february31st Established commenter

    Don't forget your 4 years teaching experience in Thailand still counts for your CV, so that will be 5 years teaching plus working in one foreign country.
  8. the hippo

    the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

    A good point, february31st.

    Some schools in the UK do value overseas teaching experience and some don't. It seems to be a bit of a lottery.

Share This Page