1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT year after supply - Any tips?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by bar23, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Hi,
    Iam very excited because I am about to start my NQT year in Y2 in September. Since completing my PGCE in July 2010 I have been working as a supply teacher. I have been very lucky and secured lots of supply work, but I am now worried that I may have forgotten some of the skills ( especially the planning and admin side of things) needed as a long-term class teacher. On the positive side, I have lots of experience of behaviour management in a variety of settings and can put together a lesson plan in 15 mins on the back of an envelope if required.
    Many thanks

2. Hi,
    Iam very excited because I am about to start my NQT year in Y2 in September. Since completing my PGCE in July 2010 I have been working as a supply teacher. I have been very lucky and secured lots of supply work, but I am now worried that I may have forgotten some of the skills ( especially the planning and admin side of things) needed as a long-term class teacher. On the positive side, I have lots of experience of behaviour management in a variety of settings and can put together a lesson plan in 15 mins on the back of an envelope if required.
    Many thanks

3. Vanadesse

Vanadesse New commenter

I've not really got any advice but just wanted to say that I'm in Year 2 starting in September for my NQT year too. I've got many of the same concerns as you, just without the supply experience to help!

4. I wouldn't panic. Although it's been a year you have kept your hand in with the teaching and that's the most important thing. You will find that different schools approach planning in different ways, so it is about getting to grips with your school's way of doing things and even if you had come from another full time job, you would still have to adapt to a new way of working.
    The Sage

5. Many thanks for taking the time to reply so quickly. [​IMG]

6. Hi,

I'm also in the same situation! I qualified in 2010.. and have been doing supply! I've got a 0.6 job in year one... so I'm feeling really nervous about the planning and admin side too!

Good Luck with it all!

7. tiggerific1989

tiggerific1989 New commenter

Hi,
    I also qualified in 2010 and did a year and a halfs supply before securing my current maternity cover position which i've been doing since easter. I was worried about the planning but it just comes back to you when you get into the swing of things. I've really enjoyed finally having a class of my own.
    Good luck all!