1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

NQT year abroad?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by jmaslen, Jan 9, 2011.

  1. I am currently in my final year of teaching training on a BEd primary education course. I'm beginning to think about job applications and where I might want to teach. I was just wondering if anyone knows anything about doing your NQT year abroad? Any info would be very helpful :)
  2. the hippo

    the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

    Oh dear! I thought that the subject of doing your NQT year abroad had been done to death, resurrected and then its spirit was sent to Hell. Now it turns that I am wrong!
    Anyway, to cut a long story short, jmaslen, it is indeed possible to get a job in an international school as an NQT. It can be done.
    The bad news is that most good international schools will not consider employing NQTs (they usually want staff with more experience) and therefore it is often only the dodgier schools that will employ NQTs. Furthermore, doing your NQT year abroad means that you will be in at the deep end, with no reduced timetable, no mentoring, no further training or support that you would get if you were to stay in the UK. In addition, your NQT year in an international school will not count and so you will have to do it again if you go back to the UK (and you probably will want to go back very soon, if you are at a crappy international school). The only exception to this rule are the schools for the British armed forces, but there aren't many of them.
    Of course if you teach a shortage subject, such as Chemistry, then just about any school anywhere will want to employ you!
  3. Ok, thank you for the advice! Unfortunately, this was the kind of reply I was expecting! I think staying in the UK for a couple of years would be the better option.
  4. invincible

    invincible New commenter

    You will be exempt from doing induction in England if you can arrange to do induction in a school in one of these places:
    • Scotland
    • Northern Ireland
    • Isle of Man
    • Guernsey
    • Jersey
    • Gibraltar
    • Service Children’s education (SCE) school in Germany or Cyprus

Share This Page