1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT year 3 years after PGCE?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by tee-jay24, Sep 29, 2020.

1. tee-jay24

tee-jay24 New commenter

I finished my Primary PGCE 3 years ago. I was pregnant during my PGCE and had a second child not long after. With 2 small children I thought I wanted to move away from teaching, and have been doing supply/part time TA work (mainly in SEN schools). Now they are a bit older I have decided I would like to complete my NQT year. Do I stand a chance at getting a teaching job? Any advice on how to make my application comparable to recent NQTs/experienced teachers? I would also ideally work in early years but my PGCE was in Primary. I do have supply and volunteer experience in the EYFS but is this even possible, especially given my gap?

Thanks.

2. ajc89

ajc89 Occasional commenter

I did my NQT year nearly 3 years after graduating uni - so yes, it is possible. Did supply until I could get a job

TheoGriff likes this.
  3. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Yes, no issues. They’ll be delighted to pay you less whilst you are more experienced.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Two babies in quite quick succession, you’re a star! Just think of all the skills and experience from juggling all that, to say nothing of pt work. You really have shown yourself to be very good at this!

And acting as a TA is pure professional development, as you are in a classroom with another practitioner for a lot of the time.

So start by boosting your own confidence in your ability to do the job by jotting down all your positives. They’ll be helpful when it comes to writing an application, too.

Then read my long post in the thread called “Job application help” , which sets out how to go about writing an effective application.

Finally, give those little ones a hug from me!

Best wishes

Kartoshka likes this.
  5. speechcompanyinfo

speechcompanyinfo New commenter

I agree with the above posts. I think you've done really well.
    In terms of being short listed for Primary jobs, I think they really like a teacher with extra skills. The ability to play an instrument, or to do computer based stuff. Bring something extra to the table and you'll stand out.

6. install

install Star commenter

Go for it. You will be snapped up.

speechcompanyinfo likes this.