1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT workload

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by kirby42, Sep 17, 2019.

1. kirby42

kirby42 New commenter

Currently doing my NQT year and I'm starting to find the workload tough going. I have thirty periods a week, each one is 40 minutes long. Does that seem quite heavy? I seem to have more classes than some experienced teachers.

2. meggyd

meggyd Lead commenter

Mmmm. 20hours a week. Every teacher is entitled to 10% ppa and I think Nqts are supposed to be on 90% timetable anyway. A bit heavy I think.

3. yoda92

yoda92 New commenter

Sounds right to me. 20/25 at my place gives 20% PPA which is twice the PPA of normal workload. Our school went to a 2 week timetable so that they could give us the absolute minimum, 5 hours over 2 weeks. For some this meant 1 hour one week and 4 in the other.
    Enjoy it while you can!

agathamorse likes this.
  4. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

The trouble is that shorter lessons mean more work-when I started, many schools had 35 minute lessons. When I had 'doubles', the days seemed much shorter. Later most schools seemed to have lessons of an hour or longer. Obviously this meant I had less planning/ change over, so although I actually worked more hours, it seemed easier.
    The trouble with PPA is that is doesn't take the realities of teaching into account. I know of a college that tries to give teachers 'repeat' lessons-yes of course you need to adjust your teaching of 'Othello' at A-level to suit different groups, but it's less arduous than teaching one A-level lesson followed by a GCSE class on one subject, then a Year 7 on another-and so on.
    So a teacher might appear to have more 'free' time than her colleague, but actually have much more to do. And that's before you consider how some classes have 'characters' who cause the teacher to have to do far more follow-up work outside the classroom...

agathamorse likes this.
  5. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

sounds about right, maybe a bit on the light side. Its only an average of 4 hours teaching a day.