1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT wondering about home visits and induction days/evenings - advice much appreciated!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by PinkOrchid, Jun 9, 2011.

1. I am an NQT this year starting my first post in Reception in Sept.
    I have been informed about an induction evening with parents, and an induction day the following week with the children.
    What exactly happens during these days/evenings? Is there anything I should prepare for or be expected to know about? I havent yet been into the school and spent time in the class (though I am after these induction days - both in nursery and reception).
    I am concerned about parents asking me all sorts of questions about the schoool and class routines, learning etc which I may well not know about yet...
    Also I have been told I will need to go on home visits in early sept. for any children not already in the school's nursery, with my TA - what is the usual set up for these?
    Thanks in advance for any advice you can give!

2. The most important thing for you to do is talk to the SMT before the meeting. Ask them all these questions. If these events have run before they will already have a format. If there are things you can't answer on the day don't be afraid to say. Direct them to someone who will know. Parents will want to meet you and want to see that you will listen to them, value what they have to say and that you will do the best for their children.
    as for home visits, again ask about previous formats. Also think about why you are doing this. What is the aim? If you have this sorted you will think of things to do. When we did ours one of us would talk to the parent the other would talk to and play with the child. We read books, played games and drew pictures.
    Stop worrying. everything will be fine. Enjoy it. There's nothing like your first class. Mine was 25 years ago and I can still remember them vividly now.

3. Thanks so much! I'm sure it will all be fine as you say - I am looking forward to it!