1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT without a job :( Help!

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by CharlotteD9, May 11, 2012.

1. CharlotteD9

CharlotteD9 New commenter

Hello,
    I passed my Secondary Science (Biology) PGCE in July and I have still not been able to secure a job. The number of interviews I have been offered has significantly reduced since the new NQTs have started to apply.
    I get regular supply work and good feedback from schools. I have tried to highlight the experiences I have got through supply teaching in my applications but this still doesn't seem enough. No schools are wanting to take the risk, especially as a lot of teachers that qualified last year are now looking again as due to cut backs they were only on temp 1 year contracts.
    I don't know whether there is something in my application that I am doing wrong, I have a primary head friend who checks them over and she gives me good feedback. I think if I can get more interviews I will find the right job. Trouble is my education wasn't great before I went to University and I am worried that they are looking at my pathetic A Levels and immediately dismissing me. There were things happening in my life at the time of my A Levels that account for this but don't really want to write down all my personal details in a letter to someone I have never met before!
    Happy to share my old applications if anyone is willing to give me feedback? Trouble is schools won't give feedback if they don't shortlist you :(
    Many Thanks
    Charlotte

2. CharlotteD9

CharlotteD9 New commenter

Hello,
    I passed my Secondary Science (Biology) PGCE in July and I have still not been able to secure a job. The number of interviews I have been offered has significantly reduced since the new NQTs have started to apply.
    I get regular supply work and good feedback from schools. I have tried to highlight the experiences I have got through supply teaching in my applications but this still doesn't seem enough. No schools are wanting to take the risk, especially as a lot of teachers that qualified last year are now looking again as due to cut backs they were only on temp 1 year contracts.
    I don't know whether there is something in my application that I am doing wrong, I have a primary head friend who checks them over and she gives me good feedback. I think if I can get more interviews I will find the right job. Trouble is my education wasn't great before I went to University and I am worried that they are looking at my pathetic A Levels and immediately dismissing me. There were things happening in my life at the time of my A Levels that account for this but don't really want to write down all my personal details in a letter to someone I have never met before!
    Happy to share my old applications if anyone is willing to give me feedback? Trouble is schools won't give feedback if they don't shortlist you :(
    Many Thanks
    Charlotte

3. Hi Charlotte,

Like you I passed my PGCE last year and was having limited success with applications and less come actual interviews which was demoralising. I was fortunate to have the offer of feedback from a member of staff at the school I worked at as a Cover Supervisor, and was prepared to accept it 'warts and all'. The feedback received was very objective and made me reflect heavily on how I was putting myself across on paper. Perhaps this was the turning point, as I set to completely re-appraise my approach to each letter, which is hard work as no two schools are the same it appears. I have subsequently had more positive responses from applications and have recently accepted a FT position.

Advice then is to ask for feedback on your letters of application from someone who does not 'know' you in one of the schools you provide supply for and be prepared to accept that there is always room for improvement.

On the theme of education prior to university, a smooth and 'normal' flow through the system may be seen as desirable, but like you my path was troubled and I have come to believe that this marks your character positively as it shows determination, perseverance, commitment etc to achieve. Place some emphasis on this in your applications to highlight your personal characteristics, not your life history. Leave that to the interviews!

Good luck,

Harvey

4. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

I'll have a look as well if you like. [​IMG] I'm not a head of Science though, but English.
    I totally understand this but there are ways around it, remember lots of amazing teachers became so because they had such a 'bad start' and are really very passionate about ensuring that other children don't have poor teaching and struggle the way they did. If you let me know the details I will construct a paragraph for you.
    Please don't worry too much, it is very hard job hunting and yet when it's over - it feels GREAT! x