1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

NQT with no voice

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by 15019997, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Just as title suggests! I had an awful cold on Friday and woke up this morning barely able to whisper. Been at the honey and lemon all day and resting it but wondering what to do if I still can't talk come Monday. I don't feel that unwell, it's more the lack of voice! I have a trip on Monday too.
    Thank you for any advice!

2. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

No voice, no work. You're a health and safety risk! My school sent me home once when I lost my voice - I sounded like Madge from Neighbours - because if I needed to communicate quickly (e.g. fire alarm, dangerous behaviour from students etc) then I needed to be able to do so and be heard. It'll recover more quickly with a decent rest whereas if you strain your voice by continuing to teach, then you may lose it for a week or more.

pepper5 likes this.
  3. yellowflower

yellowflower Occasional commenter

You need to take a few days off for your voice to heal properly. If you don't it will come back again soon and worse! Last year, my voice had gone and I was afraid to take time off. I took a day off max. I was fine within days and thought great. Two weeks later I had tonsillitis as I hadn't let it heel properly. In all fairness I think you need atleast 3 days off work. Rest up and feel better soon!!!

lindenlea and pepper5 like this.
  4. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Lemon and ginger tea with a shot of whisky.

A spoonful of Manuka honey (not in the tea - heat destroys it).

Sleep. Paracetamol. Toast. Soup.

No coffee.

pepper5 likes this.
  5. oscillator

oscillator Occasional commenter

Lost my voice twice during my training year (old-style GTP). I was told to show videos or just plough through. First time, I tried and had a voice that was awful for at least a week. Second time, I did not take that advice, as my GP advised me to rest my voice and signed me off until my voice returned (it took two days each time).

Rest your voice. Not resting can do permanent damage that could (in the long run) damage your main tool as a teacher, thus hurting your fledgling career!

pepper5 likes this.
  6. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Chlorseptc spray!

ultimatedingbat and pepper5 like this.
  7. snail_friendly

snail_friendly Occasional commenter

If you're meant to be supervising a trip you need your voice more than ever so without a voice you shouldn't go on the trip. You must rest your voice & so this will probably mean that you should stay home - straining it could lead to laryngitis.

Also, be careful with those throats numbing sprays because they can mask the pain and you could end up forcing your voice and doing more damage.

Hope you feel better soon :)

pepper5 likes this.
  8. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Take time off. It might be several days. You will feel guilty but tough. Drink lots of water and inhale steam regularly. Cut out dairy ( it creates mucus), cut back tea , coffee and alcohol (they dry you out). You need to dilute all that grim mucus that is in your system and rest to let the inflammation and swelling on your vocal chords go away. Keep blowing your nose and cough anything up - get it out out out!
    Remember Hillary Clinton. She thought she could "power on through" and ended up with pneumonia. Some people say gargle with salt but I can't do that. The chemist won't have much to offer but the manuka honey is probably worth a try.

snail_friendly likes this.
  9. ultimatedingbat

ultimatedingbat Established commenter

You need to take the time off. I forced my way through losing my voice, ended up with severe laryingitus and three weeks off!

10. varcolac

varcolac Occasional commenter

I lost my voice, and used a Stephen Hawking robot voice from my computer, and taught lessons with my head over a steaming mug of Lemsip.

Didn't work really. Take the day off.

lindenlea likes this.
  11. wanet

wanet Star commenter

I remember someone from a long time ago with no voice. He had a series of sentances written on the baod and simply pointed at them. He made it work, so it is possible.

blueskydreaming likes this.
  12. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

I have had a loss of voice twice, both times at the end of a cold. If it persists, go and see your GP. You should not strain your voice, you risk your livelihood.

13. Deputy Dawg

Deputy Dawg New commenter

Fact: Teachers are 8 times more likely to suffer from voice problems than any other profession! (Association of Teachers and Lecturers, 2016)
    I've just consulted on a new Use and Care of Voice for Teachers online course that's available now. Lots of helpful tips in there that might be helpful.

Attached Files: