1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT with no Job

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by fatima5, Aug 22, 2011.

1. I am an NQT who has not secured a job for September after many applications. I am desprate for a job in order to support my family. Iam on jobseekers allowance at the moment[​IMG]. I have signed up with a few agency for supply work, but because of the limit of 18 months, for an NQT this worries me. I am thinking of working as Nursery Nurse as I am a qualified with 4 years expereince working in foundation stage or working as a TA or HLTA as I am qualified for that too and have 3 years experience.
    My question is if I take any of these position temporarly until when I get my first NQT position, God only knows when, will this move effect my NQT? I will be looking for my first teaching job all the time but need to earn a living too I have kids.
    sorry this was long , will appreciate your views. Thank you.

2. I am an NQT who has not secured a job for September after many applications. I am desprate for a job in order to support my family. Iam on jobseekers allowance at the moment[​IMG]. I have signed up with a few agency for supply work, but because of the limit of 18 months, for an NQT this worries me. I am thinking of working as Nursery Nurse as I am a qualified with 4 years expereince working in foundation stage or working as a TA or HLTA as I am qualified for that too and have 3 years experience.
    My question is if I take any of these position temporarly until when I get my first NQT position, God only knows when, will this move effect my NQT? I will be looking for my first teaching job all the time but need to earn a living too I have kids.
    sorry this was long , will appreciate your views. Thank you.

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

The main restriction on supply work for an NQT is the 16 month rule which limits the amount of non induction day to day supply you can do before completing an induction period. The supply clock starts ticking from the first day of supply work regardless of how much teachinhg you actually do and after 16 months you need to get permission from an LA to continue to work on day to day supply.This can be granted for 12 months further non induction work.
    You can complete induction in a supply post if you are working in a school for a term or longer and it can be an advantage to reduce your induction period .
    The restrictions only apply to teaching posts where you are employed as a teacher, other work such as HLTA does not impact in this way.

4. Fatima, like previous posters I was in a very similar situation to yourself - finding your first post can be very difficult wherever in the country you might be! I know several people from my PGCE cohort of 150 who have already given up on teaching, one year later. I myself was starting to panic, but after a year on supply I *did* get that elusive post, so don't fret! You never know where your next opportunity might come from!
    Might I suggest you make sure your teaching CV is up to date and polished, and then put it on various CV/job websites? In the past week, whilst in the process of removing my details, I've had three calls from recruitment agencies looking to fill late vacancies. It could be worth a go!

5. I'm in the same position without a post in September so you're not the only one. I have an interview tomorrow. Before this I got through to interviews but was rubbish at talking/panel stage.only the last few were positive. before writing tweaking your personal statement/covering letter, read the person specification and make the statement personal to the school so have these phrases: like name of school I also aim to provide opportunities.
    Also send your CV to the local schools and see if you can volunteer because around December/January jobs will come up and if you are volunteering you will be at an advantage.
    Good Luck and don't lose heart

6. Thanks enggrade1 and everyone. Wish you all the best for tomorrow I hope this is the one for you.xxx.

7. impis

impis New commenter

Twas 15years before I was able to find any sort of teaching job - supply or otherwise. No one seemed to care that I had no 'probationary' year as it was called then. It was scary but clearly not impossible!

8. Thanks for all the posts in this thread. I am reading them one year on and they are most informative. Enggrad 1 mentions volunteering. Can I ask in what capacity you proposed volunteering? I suppose that would be in any capacity for which you were equipped and that the school would take you. I am believing that a school would never take on a voluntary teacher, ever, would they?? I hope that this is not a very obvious question!! If anybody has anything to add on that point, I would appreciate it.