1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT with no job and no hope...Need advice

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by jamesloader123, Sep 23, 2019.

1. jamesloader123

jamesloader123 New commenter

Hi All

I'm a 22 year old Secondary PE NQT from the West Midlands (Herefordshire). Having just finished my PGCE and moving back home with my parents for financial reasoning, I have found myself in the position of having no full-time teaching job after being unsuccessful at a few attempts earlier in the year. I am now working casually at my local leisure centre and have signed up with 2 supply agencies.

Currently I have had zero supply work alongside a lot of 'promises' from the agencies of work for the following week..Which turned out to be lies or untrue.
    Along with this I have still be looking for jobs on Tes, Eteach etc and all seem to be Female PE or Leadership role based which I stand no chance with.

So am just looking for some advice from others on what I could do to get 1) More regular work. 2) Get myself in the best position moving forward to apply for more jobs when they start appearing after xmas.

I really am struggling at the minute, as all I see in myself is a failure whilst others (ex students and pgce friends) around me seem to be doing so well.

2. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Try teaching overseas.

dumbbells66 and pepper5 like this.
  3. cambdeb

cambdeb New commenter

This was me last year...never got offeeed any supply work until the day after a successful interview (Mid October).

Do what you need to bring in money...supply work can take a few weeks to start. Try to stay positive, I know it's hard. But something will come through eventually.

Lara mfl 05 and agathamorse like this.
  4. PersianCatLady

PersianCatLady Occasional commenter

The whole "Train To Teach Scheme" is nothing but broken promises.

I wish I had never ever decided to do it as it has ruined my life.

Rather than working in a career teaching a subject that I love, I have no job, no income and a whole load of debt that I wouldn't have had otherwise.

Worst of all, I trained to teach a "shortage subject".

5. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

There are lots of schools, all over the world, that are looking for teachers. Yes, it is true that sometimes the salaries are not as good as what you would be paid in the UK, but then again many countries around the world have a lower cost of living than the UK and a lot of international schools provide accommodation for their teachers.

pepper5 likes this.
  6. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi jamesloader123

I have only seen your post, but would like to add that YOU ARE NOT A FAILURE. Sorry for the shouting, but please never believe you are a failure. How could you be a failure??? You have a degree and are a qualified teacher which has taken you hours to achieve. Anyway, don't measure your failure/success by the job you have.

You have a lot going for you: you are blessed to have a family who are willing to put a roof over your head and you won't be on the streets. That is a massive point in our favour. You have parents who love you and care for you.

As suggested above, supply work typically does not pick up until about the week before the first half term. Supply work is an incredibly stressful situation since a lot of times you are hanging around waiting for the phone. However, supply work will be a good opportunity for you to learn some skills and it builds resilience. Phone the agencies each Friday and be pleasant. Chat. Chat. Chat. Ask them about their week, what their problems are. Be pleasant. Tell them your availability and wish them a good weekend. Perhaps join just one more agency.

Second thing.... Stop comparing yourself to your friends as it is the number one route to becoming unhappy and disengaged.

Have you ever thought about offering your own fitness classes? Pilates is a hugely popular and i know instructors who earn good money offering classes.

Hippos advice is good.

Things will improve for you but you must stay positive.

PersisanCatLady

I don't know much about the Train To Teach Scheme.

Can you elaborate a bit.

7. PersianCatLady

Sorry by "Train To teach Scheme" I mean ordinary teacher training.

I don;'t know why I made it sound like something else.

pepper5 likes this.
  8. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

That is o.k. PersianCatLady

Are you able to teach abroad?

Things may appear difficult at the moment but usually there is a way through the difficulties.

9. PersianCatLady

Thanks for the reply Pepper.

No I can't teach abroad but after weeks of crying every day and desperately trying not to end it all, teaching can **** off.

(Sorry for the rudeness)

I have spent days filling in applicaton forms and have been told at interviews that "when we said NQTs welcome, we didn't mean someone who has just qualified".

It is truly disgusting and to be honest it has almost broken me after taking eight years to get to this point.

I have applied for a series of jobs in another field and hopefully by Friday I should be re-employed, slightly less money but loads less hassle and at least we won't lose our home.

I am however very grateful that you took the time to try and help me @pepper

pepper5 likes this.
  10. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

There are conversion courses you can do to be able teach science. That’s my advice. The school will then give you some science and some PE.

pepper5 likes this.
  11. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi PersianCatLady

I am sorry you have had such a tough time.

I can understand about losing your home since I thought we too might lose ours.

I was in an accident at a school which I am just about recovered from and start a new job on Monday. A new job out of teaching.

Teaching and learning are my passion but I would never recommend teaching as a profession - not in the UK.

All the best for your new job.

12. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Bit late to this but can I just reiterate pepper's comment

I had a pretty dreadul NQT year, but went on to have a very successful career.

Then I was an experienced teacher trying to return to teaching after having my family and I had years of applications before I 'scored' an interview. Looking back there was a lot wrong with my applications, which had moved on in my child-rearing years.
    Then lots of interviews before I managed to secure a f/t post.

Just think do you want to teach? If so keep persevering. If not look around at other jobs using your experience at 'collating information, responding to people skills, diagnosing situations and people quickly, time management skills . . . . . . .loads of them

pepper5 likes this.