1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT with no idea how to resign..

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by RedBedHead94, Oct 12, 2016.

1. RedBedHead94

RedBedHead94 Established commenter

Hello all.

I've been posting the drama that is my NQT year so far across New Teachers and Workplace Dilemmas.

Story so far: NQT year started in a way that felt like being hit by a car. Haven't been supported very well by my HOD/NQT Mentor. Started having awful panic attacks, signed off with work related panic attacks and anxiety as of 10/10.

Yesterday, my HOD (who is also off sick) started texting me about sending assessments to mark over half term - she didn't know why I was signed off. I told her why I was off sick and asked her not to send over marking or communicate about work. I woke up this morning to more texts - asking for details on where all my classes had gotten up to. Specifics about what exam practise year 10 had done so far.

This woman, who knows why I am off school, chose to send me messages that caused an explosion of worry in my chest just to make her life easier. She has known how i've felt for weeks, and made reassurances and promises that were not kept. Left me with 12 sets of books, 100 year 7 assessments and lessons to differentiate for children firmly on the SEN register with absolutely no help - even going as far as to impose deadlines on some things. This is the final straw for me, i'm done with this woman and this school.

I refuse to go back when the person in charge of me clearly doesn't give a rat's ass, meaning I will go back and be expected to get on with it, marking all the cover work and assessments that were done in my absence.

I want to resign. Whether that means I go on to a different school or leave education entirely is up for discussion, but right now all I know is I am NOT going back to a school that has broken me as a person.

Finally, to get to the point: How can I put this across in a resignation letter with minimal burning bridges? Left to my own devices, i'm tempted to just copy and paste what I wrote above.

2. eleanorms

eleanorms Occasional commenter

I'm sorry, but I think if you are sure that resigning is the right thing to do now, you are burning a pretty big bridge. I have every sympathy with you and the position you are in at school, but it never looks good if you do not complete nqt induction, and you will need to be very clear how you will move on from this if you want to teach in the future. You won't qualify for a teacher's daily rate if you choose to do supply.
    You are perfectly justified in saying that you are unable to carry on this year due to health/personal reasons and leave it at that - there are no recriminations if you resign before October 31st. However, just be very very clear that this is what you have to and want to do.
    Hope you feel better soon.

3. BYusuf

BYusuf Occasional commenter TES Careers peer advisor

Hi RedHeadBed94,

Like eleanorms, I sympathise with the position that you are experiencing within your school.

I always feel that key decisions should never be made when we are not feeling our best. It sounds as though you need to take a step back and with half term fast approaching, this could really give you a chance to pause, reflect and review. Even if you decide to resign before the 31st October 2016, AVOID copying and pasting what you shared above!

Is there any way to obtain additional support beyond your department?

No matter what you decide to do, don't burn your bridges...

If you follow the advice provided by eleanorms, it should allow you to leave the school in the best possible way.

DYNAMO67 and pepper5 like this.
  4. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Not true. I had the NQT year from hell last year, and a couple of weeks after I left I secured a job in an outstanding school (a step up). My new school are aware that some schools are hell on earth, and that the assessment of me by my former school was BS. Unfortunately plenty of NQTs do have to change schools due to issues. The OP is physically and mentally suffering, so I really think she should leave and find a new school who will actually support her.

Why won't she get the teacher's rate? She's a qualified teacher without her NQT year.

@RedBedHead94 look here for advice on writing your resignation letter: https://www.tes.com/news/blog/how-resign-get-resignation-letter-right

Do not say in your letter why you are resigning, and don't given them any feedback about lack of support. Keep it simple.

Send it in. Stay signed off as long as you need to.

Try supply work to make contacts, gain experience and build confidence (confidence in schools, that is, and the fact that not all schools are hell holes).

ricjamclick, pepper5 and peter12171 like this.
  5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

You dont need to give any reason at all, remember you need a reference.

Just write something like

Dear headteacher person thingy

I wish to resign from my post as teacher at XYZ school with effect from 31st December 2016.

Thank you for the support and opportunities given so far.

Yours etc etc etc

That's all I would do in your position.
    But I'd not be thinking about resigning just yet. Ask your SLT link for help and support. Let them know how you feel and give them a chance to help. What about your NQT mentor, can they help? Leaving a school is a huge step and doing so just because your HOD (who is ill) isn't quite as effective as one would hope might be considered rash by your next potential head.

BYusuf, DYNAMO67 and pepper5 like this.
  6. eleanorms

eleanorms Occasional commenter

Probably should have said an agency doesn't have to pay you a teachers rate if you haven't done nqt year, you may be able to negotiate more favourably.

7. RedBedHead94

NQT mentor IS my HOD... doubly useless eh?

8. Remember - once you finish your PGCE you only have 5 years to complete your NQT year before you lose the opportunity to be able to do so and qualify to teach in non-academised, non-private schools.

9. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Surely if she is on long-term sick, someone else should be taking over her role for the time being? Is it worth talking to this person first? And your union.

10. caterpillartobutterfly

If your mentor is off sick, you need to speak to the co-ordinator or your SLT link and ask for a different one until she returns. (Though if your new one does a great job and your HOD isn't actually all that fussed about NQT mentoring, then you could make a case later for keeping the new one)

11. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Like I put on another thread step away from this issue for a bit. Even after your sick leave of two weeks you will still have time to inform the HT if you want to leave at Christmas.

Do not make rash decisions. From other threads and the tone of your post, you are not in the right place at the moment to be making this call. I personally think you are attributing far too much significance to what the HoD- also on sick leave and not really in a place to be making work decisions- has said.

12. RedBedHead94

Is it still a rash decision if the school just emailed me a letter summoning me in to a meeting with the head on tuesday, actively acknowledging and disregarding my sickness certificate? They've given me 48 hours to scramble NUT representation... this is just too much to cope with.

13. ElspethSorrel

ElspethSorrel New commenter

Oh bless you. This sounds very stressful! I have no advice other than to say you have been unlucky with your choice of school/HoD.

Good luck, thinking of you!

14. caterpillartobutterfly

Yes. You have been given lots of sensible advice on your other thread, and, granted, lots of scaremongering.

Your head is very possibly saying to SLT 'What the heck is going on in XYZ dept.? Why can't we support our NQTs when the HOD is off? If only someone had spoken to me earlier this could possibly have been prevented. Let's ask this teacher come in and talk through the issues and sort them out in order to make his/her time here a success. S/he'll probably freak out, especially if s/he uses internet forums, so we'll suggest contacting the union for support and advice.'

Then you nip along with lovely union help to the meeting, pour your heart out, put together a plan with SLT to support you and you get back to work after half term and love it!

Try not to automatically assume they are out to get you, this might well all end happily.

15. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

They can't expect you to attend a meeting when you've been signed off. You can reply stating that your sickness certificate states explicitly that no work-related activities should be undertaken and you will meet them with suitable representation when you have confirmed with your doctor that you are able to do so. They are being unreasonable in expecting you to attend the meeting. In fact, they really shouldn't be contacting you at all.

Not much chance a rep will be available by Tuesday anyway. You need more time to organise suitable representation (although I wouldn't put that in my correspondence with the school).

16. caterpillartobutterfly

Read the thread on workplace dilemmas for the whole story...it isn't as black and white as it seems here.

17. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

I have read it. I maintain that no school should be disregarding an unfit for work certificate signed by a medical professional to 'invite' someone in for a meeting. The point of the certificate is to state that the person involved is not actually in a fit state to attend work, and that includes meetings.

blueskydreaming likes this.