1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT with majority 'on-board' but a few nightmare kids make it really tough.

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by Tom_Bennett, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

Hi There
    Sounds tough, and it is a situation that many teachers face; the needs of the few outweighing the needs of the many, and spoiling the class learning.
    That's a noble intention. But keeping them in with all the other kids is ruining- I say, ruining- the room for everyone.
    I feel this too. These kids, if they are persistently and aggressively playing Ker-Plunk with your lesson plan, need a new strategy. In an ideal world they would be assigned to a personal teacher. This world is far from ideal, so we make it make sense as much as possible. They lose their lunches and golden time- big deal, as you point out quite correctly. Some kids chew up lost lunchtimes like caramel. They need the next level; temporary exclusions, parking in other rooms, and provision external to the classroom. If you can't save them, then save as many as you can. Get the school/ line management involved in the solution, and definitely get meetings with the parents to let them know what will happen if no progress is made. But I get the feeling that these kids are enjoying the attention, and have quickly realised that mucking about will lead to....not very much, actually. Misbehaviour brings them power and attention, and that attention can exaggerate the behaviours in a hideous feedback mechanism.
    Good luck
    Read more from Tom here on his personal blog, or follow him on Twitter here.

2. Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I've got a system now whereby they lose Golden Time, then get a warning for leaving the room. There is a conveniently located table just outside, where I can send them with some work, which will get either completed in the lesson, or completed in lunch, or, if that fails, sent home.

I still sometimes have trouble with getting them to leave the room when asked, which leads to a confrontation, where I ask them to leave, and they shout "NO!", which ends in a stalemate.

Strategies?

3. Been a while since you posted this so I don't know if you're still having stalemate issues but I have a very similar problem with 2 boys in my class and threatening them with the head usually works (because they've pushed me before and I've pushed back). If they refuse to leave when I tell them to I say, "put it this way... you can leave now when I tell you to or I can fetch Mrs X. 3... 2... 1..."
    They've usually huffed out of the door before I get to 2 and they know that if they do refuse I will send for the head because I've done it before and she will keep them for the rest of the day and make their day very unpleasant. They don't return until they've apologised.
    If it's any consolation, I truly believe I've had a very similar experience with my first class (I'm also an NQT) but I try to follow through with EVERYTHING I say and most of the time it works now.
    Of course the last week before Christmas was a different story...
    ;) TeaBelly x

4. A lot of parents actually support the teachers and want their children to make them proud at school. When I went to parents evening I was asked by my 5 year-old's teacher "Is *my child's name* OK?". I was completely insulted, and upset, as my son is happy and respectful at home.

Sometimes the personality of the teacher just doesn't match with that of the child, once he moved classes I never had any comments like that again.

5. If it's any consolation I've been teaching for 14 years and moved schools about a year ago. My first 2 terms were great and I had a lovely class without any huge behaviour problems, but then in September I got a new class and I can honestly say that, although I only have 23 in the class, it is the hardest class I've ever taught. I asked the SMT for help after a couple of weeks as I realised I needed help. I was met with a very unhelpful new head to the school who said it could be dealt with within the school and I didn't need to go on a behaviour management course!
    Well I never got any kind of help and I still haven't got a handle on them - there are alt least 8 or 9 boys in the class who have absolutely no idea how to behave, can't stay in their seats for 5 mins and who's ability is very low (because they can't concentrate!!) They have no social skills and spend most of their time arguing and fighting in the play ground! I have spent lessons and lessons trying to teach them how to behave and how to listen etc but it seems to fall on deaf ears!! I also have an autistic child who is a catalyst for the rest of them and basically does whatever she wants to! I also felt like a rubbish teacher but I'm assured it's not me!!
    The reward wrist bands on this website are a good incentive for them and they do like star of the day reward cards but it's always trying to keep the enthusiasm up - and the aspergers child is not motivated by anything really :eek:(

6. Good luck mate, I hope you get there.