1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT with lack of confidence!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Jessica20, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Hi, I'm an NQT doing supply at the moment but finding it hard and it has really affected my confidence in my teaching ability.It's become so bad that i can't even think of lessons anymore! I could teach on my uni placements no bother and got 'potential to be an outstanding teacher' as my final result. I keep thinking i can't do it because on supply i don't have a mentor who i can turn to like on placement. Does anyone have any advice for me? or know of any websites where i can get lesson plans from?
    Please help!

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Teaching on supply is not easy for most of us at times, but trying to do it without any previous experience must be even tougher.
    Do people leave you with lesson plans that you can't understand/ are too complicated/ not detailed enough ?
    Really the key to being successful on supply is learning to 'think quickly on one's feet' & the more you do it the better you do it & the easier it becomes.

3. Hi, people do leave me with lesson plans but they aren't detailed enough. I feel like i don't have the knowledge to teach lessons and don't know where to get this knowlege from

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Right, so first point is to identify your lesson objective. What do I want the children to have achieved by the end of this lesson? This may be on your plans (though in my experience it generally isn't) so you look at what the teacher has left & decide for youself what it is realistic to set as your objective.So now you're clear about where you're going with the lesson.
    The next point is to remember that the teacher's job is not just to instruct i e teach knowledge, but to stimulate, envigorate, inspire children's learning & creativity. So whatever you do with children which enhances their learning is positive.
    Use any resources the teacher has left & enjoy youself, this will then transmit to the children.

5. Waiguoren

Waiguoren Occasional commenter

Hi Jessica,
    I'm sorry that things are going a little roughly for you. I've been a full-time teacher for 1 1/2 years now and before that I did supply teaching - and may well again next year! So I can relate to how you feel.
    I'm sure that it is not anything wrong with you. Not at all! Supply teaching is easy in some ways, but very difficult in others. You come into a classroom with usually no notice and just twenty minutes to plan the day. You can't compare this to a class of your own where you know the children and made the lesson plans. Don't be worried if you're thrown sometimes! It's quite natural.
    When I was doing supply teaching I found that the best thing to do was to have some special things in my pocket. I made a list of games that could be played in the class - things like blackboard races or back-to-the-board that were fun and adaptable for any situation. I made a collection of favourite websites. Any school that I went to I would draw three stars on the whiteboard and tell them we had something really special to do at the end of the lesson, and then rub one star off for each time the class misbehaved. It worked really well, magically well, and at the end we would usually play Questionaut - fantastic online game, do you know it?
    What I mean is, that it worked well for me when I had a collection of online or class activities that were lots of fun and adaptable to any age or subject.
    Now then, you asked about good websites for planning. I would say that the best website available is definitely http://mrkohll.weebly.com/ . The reason I would say it is because it's mine. Seriously - you might find it very useful! The teachers page has lots of websites you can use for planning and preparing, and there are games for every age group and subject, lots of websites for finding downloadable and printable resources, etc. etc.
    There are lots of other good websites I could share - but they're all on there already. Mathworksheetwizard, primary resources, activity tv, ****** - all wonderful. Maybe you known some of them already?
    Good luck!

6. looloo38

looloo38 New commenter

Hi there

I'm an NQT so i feel for you! Can you ask your uni mentor if they can help? Explain your situation and ask if someone can act as your mentor until you finish your NQT year, im sure they wont mind giving you advice.

Hamilton Trust is brilliant for lesson plans however you have to pay a small fee about £7-12 for full access but well worth it trust me!

Do you get notice about what your planning /lesson/ objectives etc? If i were you i would start getting together a bank of good lessons for each year group incase you ever get put on the spot. These could be based on inspiring topics such as chocolate, rainforest or current topics such as the earthquakes/tsunami. Hamilton trust has good topic lessons too.

Hope that helps

x