1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT with HoD responsibilities

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by WillowOP, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Hi all,

I have done my PGCE this year and gained QTS. I am starting as an NQT full time in a great school with a permanent contract.

At interview I was told that as I was an NQT I would be starting on M1 (£22,093). Fair enough.

I teach a subject (Music) where I am the only person in the department. However, I have been sent a budget to complete. On the budget template, it stipulated Head of Department budget for Music.

I sent a (rather long) email to the Head with questions about my post and what responsibilities I would be expected to do, however two weeks on I have not had a reply - I have however been called to a meeting next week with the Head and Vice Principal to 'discuss Sep 2015'.

I have not yet signed any contract - my question is should I be negotiating for more money for the extra responsibilities? I assume I will also be leading the Instrumental programme (with direct line responsibility for a number of staff). In lieu of a TLR would it be wise to ask to start on M2 instead?

It may be worth noting I have accepted the job over the phone (2 months ago) and have gone into the school for New Pupil Day.

Anyone in a similar situation? Thanks!

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

You can ask, of course; however, you must have known when you took the job that you would be the only teacher of your subject in the school and therefore - like many sole teachers of a subject before you and at the same time as you - would be solely responsible for the subject.

I wonder who you mean when you say you'll have "direct line responsibility" for a number of staff? Do you mean peripatetic instrument teachers? If so, you're not, actually, responsible for them, as they're employed and line managed outwith the school (usually by a HOD at LA level).

If you require help to complete the budget (which is basically only what you think you need to spend a relatively small cash sum on for resources for the year), ask the HT for someone who can do this - you'll have a mentor in school who will probably be at HOD (or above) level.

To be honest (and as someone who also started my career as sole teacher of a subject), what you've described is not a great deal of "responsibility" over ans above your job as a teacher. Your mentor is there to support and advise you and I suggest you take full advantage of this.

I will add that I found the professional development that being sole teacher i/c a subject set me up brilliantly for moving onward and upwards in my career.

3. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

I'd also suggest that you contact the outgoing colleague for help on the budget - might be that you could start with the current budget as a guide.

4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Isn't it a bit early for them to be expecting you to start work? Or are you already being paid?

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I'm not convinced that being asked what you want the subject budget allocation spent on is incredibly arduous - and in the OP's shoes, I'd certainly want to make that decision myself, rather than leave it to the outgoing teacher.

6. wanet

wanet Star commenter

The alternative is that you end up with out the resurces that you want to use because the existing teacher has different thoughts to you. A dept. of 1 is little different to being a teacher in a large dept. except perhaps promotion prospects are more limited.

7. CandysDog

CandysDog Established commenter

It's probably worth pointing out that one of the requirements of a role being eligible for a TLR is that you take responsibility for students you do not directly teach. If you are the only teacher of the subject, then the school couldn't give you (or, rather, the role) a TLR even if it wanted to.

On another note, I manage a budget for a smallish subject and am not a TLR holder. Nevertheless, I offered to manage the budget (asked for it to exist, actually!) and am not an NQT. It definitely seems worth finding out at this meeting if you are going to just have to do the budget or do all the other head of department things too. If you are, then asking for M2 would seem reasonable to me.

(As it happens, I do complete all the head of department things for the subject I manage the budget for (which has three staff), but – again – I did offer to, as I would rather they got done (the alternative is that they probably wouldn't get done at all or not very well). The difference here is whether you are being expected to do these things and that you are only an NQT.)

8. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Point taken. I feel uncomfortable with demands as distinct from requests - I am usually happy to help when asked politely to do something outside what I should be told to do, but resent it when it becomes a demand. So the phrase "called to a meeting" was not one I liked. I agree that having input into the budget is a good thing to do. If it were me, I think I would try to discuss it with the outgoing teacher, as it is hard for an NQT to know all the ins and outs of the budget. Of course, the meeting might help.

9. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

As MM says, you can ask but whether your request is approved is two different things. As you say, you are the sole teacher for that department therefore you will have responsibility for budgets & spending and all the admin work for department on top of teaching your classes. Do you have a faculty leader? If so, liaise with them and come up with action plans! Is there a high intake for your subject? Could you benefit from employing a second teacher on a part time contract to support?