1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

NQT with 5 years overseas experience.

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by dylan397, Jan 18, 2012.

  1. Hi All,

    I completed my BA(Hons) Primary Education in 2006. I then went on to complete a year supply teaching (where I did not start my Induction). I was then offered a position as an FS1 teacher in a British Curriculum school in the United Arab Emirates where I have remained until now and currently hold position of FS1 co-ordinator (5 classes). We are looking to return to the UK this July and I am extremely concerned about my NQT status and my position for applying for supply/long term positions. I have all the evidence including termly observations, pupil work, photographs etc. but I believe I will need to appeal for an extension. How do I go about this?

    Please help!

  2. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    You don't need an extension to take an NQT Induction post! You just apply for jobs and start your Induction year if successful.
    There is no time limit on completing Induction. They abolished the 'expectation' of completing Induction with 5 years of starting Induction in Sept 2007.
    What you would need an extension for is the ability to take non-Induction supply teaching whilst waiting to get an Induction post. As you did supply teaching in 2006/07, you have used up the 16 'window' for doing such work. Tha LAs where you will seek temporary work can decide to grant you an additional 12 months (or less -even zero time) in which to take non-Induction teaching in their schools.
    You could take supply work in non-LA controlled schools (Academies, for instance) with no retrictions.
    Any work that is intended to last for at least a term's length (starting mid-term even until the next mid-term or later) has to be part of Induction.
    You can complete Induction with 'terms' of work at several schools.
    As you have been working abroad, your main stumbling block will be getting enhanced CRB clearance when you return. It will speed things up if you get local (UAE) clearances/statements before you leave. Seek consular /embassy assistance and/or contact the CRB people in the UK
    (<strike>C RAPITA</strike> -sorry, CAPITA) and ask what you can do before leaving the UAE to expedite a speedy CRB when you register with agencies or get a teaching job.
  3. welshwizard

    welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

    Depending where you are applying make sure you get into the primary NQT pools run by LA's usually a good source of opportunities and often they have pool interview dates. Do make sure you meet the application deadlines.
    The plans are to move to a standard 5 years from QTS as the time span for completing an induction- Gov hopes to implement them this year
  4. As noted above, the extension is only needed if you wish to do supply teaching that is not inductable. If you gain a teaching post that lasts at least a term you will be placed on induction. You may find that you staddle the old and new induction criteria so you will need to keep an eye on what will happen during any transition period e.g. one idea for new induction is that people with experience teaching may not need to do the full one year, so keep an eye out for any government announcements on induction.

Share This Page