1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT wanting to resign - when to mention it?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by oneofthemteachers, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Dear colleagues,
    I am an NQT on a permanent contract, but I have been thinking about resigning for a few months now. After pouring endlessly over it, I have decided that the question is now not whether I should resign, but when I should leave and give my notice.
    Although I originally wanted to leave at the end of this school year, and thus give my notice as early as possible before 31st May 10, I now worry that I cannot reasonably leave then because I am actually now in a worse financial situation than I was before I started training. I keep thinking about what is best and changing my mind, but I am considering leaving after Christmas so I can possibly save up a little bit of money before quitting to get a job outside of education.
    I haven't talked to anyone at school about my plans.At first I felt really guilty about wanting to leave after only a year, now I feel guilty about wanting to quit mid-year? Is it common to quit in December after less than 2 years spent in the same school? The staff is lovely and the school really supportive in general so there is no problem there. I'd feel less guilty if I stayed on for another year but it really contradicts my plans as I have ultimately realised I want another career and I feel like I am wasting useful time working in the wrong direction.
    Do you think I should tell my HoD about what's going through my mind? I'm really not sure how to approach it to be considered thoughtful and professional and not a 'quitter'.
    Thank you for your advice.

2. If you're not thinking of leaving until Christmas, I'd shut up for now. If you mention it, your HOD might give you the groups nobody else wants to teach knowing you'll only have them one term. It would be fairer to your department to tell them, but you don't sound absolutely certain so you could end up staying longer. Teachers leave all the time. Always best to leave in July, for your department, the kids and your replacement but leaving at Cheristmas and Easter happens and schools get round it.

3. That's a really tough decision but the fact that you're taking into account the school and the pupils is commendable.
    What did you do in the end?