1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT wanting to Quit

Discussion in 'Primary' started by redpepper9991, Oct 11, 2015.

1. redpepper9991

redpepper9991 New commenter

Hi all

I need some advice. I am an NQT who has been teaching for 6/7 weeks now and every single day all I have thought is 'how long can I keep up this pretense?'. Every single day I feel sick to my stomach about the thought of going back into a school and I beat myself up about absolutely everything. I feel like I am loosing my mind and my health. My school is incredibly supportive, incredibly open and honest and so welcoming I cannot fault it at all.
    All my friends and family are telling me to 'hang in there, you have just started' and 'it's a career, no more retail!' but honestly all I want to is scream at them, I would love to go back to retail. I feel like my kids don't respect me and I feel deflated and defeated at the moment, I honestly feel like me being there is a detriment to their education. I know that everyone always says 'its normal in your NQT year', but it is normal to question your choice to teach every single day your in school after 6 weeks? I feel trapped and alone, and I need advice!
    P.S My mentor is really, truly wonderful and supportive and I cannot fault her at all, I actually really get on with her personally aswell, and she gives me streams and streams of advice but all I think is 'I dont actually want to make this work'. What do I do?

2. TEA2111

TEA2111 Established commenter

No one can tell you what you should do (sorry); only you know what is right for you. There are many teachers I know who are very happy in their jobs. However, as much as I love and am passionate about education and occasionally get a buzz, it is a tough job and not one that I encourage people to go into easily/lightly. Only you can know whether the personal sacrifices demanded from teachers is worth it in your situation. I wish I was 10 years younger and I would have no hesitation of getting out.

3. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Only you can decide, bit if you can somehow manage to finish and qualify you will have a skill and qualification that you will always be able to fall back on even if you decide to leave teaching for a few months or years.

What you can do is stop beating yourself up. All you can do is your best and after all you are just starting out and you will make mistakes. That is part of learning as you know.

The students see you as new so they will test you somdo not take it personally as they would do the same to anyone new. It is part of your training to learn how to establish yourself in your classes and it can be learned but takes much practice. As you are finding out, learning to teach is not an easy road to walk, but you are in a good position that you have supportive colleagues.

There are manyngood booksmon behaviour management and one I read and helped is Taking Care of Behavior by Paul Dix. I understand your situation is more complex than just behaviour management, if you got to the point where you felt in charge of your classes it might help.

Take one day at a time and one step at a time. It is almost half term. Then it will be Christmas break. Then the new year. The end stretch will then be in sight. Once you get qualified then you can take a break.

Try to get enough sleep and enough to eat. Also make some free time away from teaching. Hard to do but possible. Read the Lazy Teacher's Handbook form ways to work smarter.

TEA2111 likes this.
  4. ashlaura

ashlaura Occasional commenter

5. ashlaura

ashlaura Occasional commenter

You probably don't want to hearths but my advice would be to give up. Teaching is horribly stressful and that never, ever ends. Once you are in, you can't easily get out. If it's not for you- it's not. Look around for something perfect for your personality and be happy !

6. FCarpenter

FCarpenter New commenter

If you feel that bad about it, your gut feeling is probably right. Don't feel you have to hang in there. I know a couple of people who did, and regretted it for the rest of their lives because they then couldn't then change career easily. (Not that we don't need teachers, but you have to live your life happily. Don't let others, or guilt, stop you following your own instinct. Or you'll regret it for 40+ years! And the longer you leave the decision, the harder it is to move on.) Good luck.

7. delma

delma New commenter

I'm feeling that way and I'm not an NQT! Have you told your mentor how you feel?

8. SanaRashid70

SanaRashid70 New commenter

Hi there. I am a post NQT so I can recall my experience pretty clearly. I had a supportive year group leader and I was busy and stressed most of the time with a minimal social life. At least twice a week I would feel down and my health deteriorated because I wouldn't eat much during the day and it came to eating one meal a day. Therefore, my mood was down and yup I would do a countdown to the holidays.

Now what did happen over time was that I became more confident as the term progressed. I learnt to laugh with the children- accept that kids will be kids and some will misbehave. I think you need to make sure chn are clear with your expectations and if there are some that are bothering you then simply give them a few warnings and then send them to your mentor or the deputy head. Show the kids you mean business. The minute you start enjoying teaching the kids then I think things may change.

Now, if it has become truly unbearable for you and you are repulsed by the idea of going to teach you could try this.
    1.Maybe ask your mentor if you can teach another year.
    2.Reflect on why you started teaching. Are you achieving this?
    3. Most of all think about yourself. In 5 years where do you see yourself- is this affecting your health in a bad way. Then I suggest you need to take a break. Remember you can begin your NQT year at a later stage.

9. pprose

pprose New commenter

Hi I'm in my third year of teaching and my first attempt at NQT was horrendous (crying in the toliets level) I hated it. Hated the kids, hated my mentor, hated the school, hated myself.
    It was shocking! But then the school saw how much of a **** time i was having and offered me a position as a ppa cover teacher and to start again in a new year group the next year.
    Best thing that ever happened to me! Moving to ks1 as cover took the pressure of results and 'making a bond' with my class. My confidence grew as all I had to do was follow the teachers plans and I learnt so much about teaching from it.
    If i hadnt been given that opportunity I would of left 100%, but now I am happy, successful (in my books anyway) and glad I stuck with it.
    Like everyone says you cant be told what to do, many people told me to leave or stay but sometimes just a slight change is enough of a change.
    Hope things brighten up soon with whatever path you decide to take! xx

10. summlard

summlard New commenter

I'd have a serious think. Now is the time to go before you're too far into it to leave. Once you're on the higher pay scales etc it'll be harder to go. Maybe change schools first? A lot can depend on the class too. I'm so much happier this year because I have a wonderful class. Nothing else has changed.

11. MannyDog

MannyDog New commenter

Depends if you like the job, and passionately want to be a primary teacher or not.

If you do - hack on - it will pass (it may come back, but we all have terms to forget)
    If not - get out, it's far to difficult a job if you are not 100% sure.