1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT want to quit due to ill health

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by teacherwoodrow, Nov 15, 2015.

1. teacherwoodrow

teacherwoodrow New commenter

Hi all

I have posted something similar to this in the new teachers thread a couple of months ago but wanted to share here. I am a 30 year old male NQT of English. I started in my school this Sept after qualifying through school direct in another school but I have hated every minute of it. I keep hearing "it gets better" but my issue is that I have no desire or motivation to do the job at all anymore regardless of whether it gets easier or not.

More worrying than that, I am beginning to suffer from depression, to the point where suicidal thoughts are beginning to creep in. I have decided to take tomorrow off and visit my GP about this but I am also looking for another job away from education.

My main worry is that I will have to go back to the school until the end of Christmas to honour my contract. It has such a detrimental effect on my mental health that I simply cannot go back. Can anyone offer me any advice as to what my options are? Like I say, I am not interested in returning to education (3 and a half years is quite enough) and I simply want to get a job where I do not feel like this 24/7. Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

I think you need to seek, and follow, medical advice from your GP or other doctor. Your health is more important than the school, or any other job.

3. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

Go to your GP. Follow FolkFans advice.

If you need to contact the Teacher Support Network
    • UK: 08000 562 561
    • Wales: 08000 855 088
    • TXT: 07909 341229
    • Our Support Line is a 24/7 service
    Or

Samaritans.
    Free of charge from a landline or mobile. Our new number is 116 123.

Work does not own you and many people on this forum have had similar feelings to you.

Take care and be kind to yourself.
    Tell us how you get on or we'll worry....

4. Ladykaza

Ladykaza Senior commenter

Get down to your GP asap. Nothing else matters.

5. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

If you are ill enough to be having suicidal thoughts, I would think it is highly unlikely a GP will let you go back to school for a long time if ever, so try not to worry about that. Make sure you tell your GP everything and take one day at a time. Take care.x

notsonorthernlass likes this.
  6. blueskies31

blueskies31 Occasional commenter

You must must must go to your GP. I was in a similar situation recently and following some excellent advice on here, went to see my Dr. I was signed off immediately. The relief of not having to go to work which was the cause of my stress and anxiety. The Head allowed me an early release of contract and I am doing a temp post till Easter in a less stressful school.

It does get better but you need to look after your health.

7. Gsr25

Gsr25 Occasional commenter

I can only echo what the previous posters have said, your priority is seeing the doctor tomorrow. Your health and well being comes first.
    Take care x

8. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

Definitely get to the GP. Otherwise, you aren't just stuck there, until Christmas, you're stuck there until Easter going by the resignation dates.

notsonorthernlass likes this.
  9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I am so sorry that you are in such a very bad state.

As others have said, the only sensible thing, and indeed the urgent thing, is to go to see your GP.

Meanwhile contact the Teacher Support - 24/7 by phone, email or chat line, if you can't face phoning.

Please look after yourself.

10. bwyer

bwyer New commenter

I don't have any advice, just wanted to say that we are all here for you.

Hope you're well.