1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT Update

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by welshwizard, Nov 2, 2016.

1. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

I thought that it would be appropriate to update my thread pinned to the top of this forum.
    This is the stage of the year that schools begin to consider the first assessment of NQTs who started in September. From previous experience some NQTs get a shock when faced with a not meeting standards assessment as they thought everything was all right. Do evaluate the support you have received to date and take action if this is lacking. INDUCTION IS STATUTORY . The Statutory Guidance is on the DFE website
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/induction-for-newly-qualified-teachers-nqts
    This dictates the levels of support ,reduced timetable and arrangements for monitoring that you should expect.
    This applies to any induction programme regardless of the status of the school whether academy/free or LA.
    Schools under financial pressure are taking more shortcuts with induction support and professional training- do resist and fight for what was a hard fought for right .i.e. That New Teachers entering the profession are supported in their first year receive a reduced timetable and help from experienced colleagues.
    If you are a "cause for concern" or not meeting standards please do not panic. Induction is 3 terms for a reason and it is the FINAL assessment that determines that induction is passed. If there are areas of concern then a clear action plan or programme of support needs to be provided to help you make progress.
    The statutory guidance is supportive and is based upon the premise that teachers need development in the early stages.
    You have a responsibility for your own professional development.
    This is often overlooked.
    I have experienced many NQTs having problems who have changed schools and subsequently passed induction. Some of those are now senior leaders and a couple of Heads. (Yes I am that old - the avatar is very flattering!)
    So be clear about what is needed and do ensure that you fully engage with the induction process.

2. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Hello @welshwizard, I've pinned your thread to the top of the forum for you.

3. welshwizard

Thanks appreciated!

4. Guitargirl28

Guitargirl28 New commenter

Hi,

I am about coming up to my first assessment but I have noticed my support is not in line with guidelines. There are a number of reasons why, but I have a question about:
    'not present the NQT, on a day-to-day basis, with discipline problems that are unreasonably demanding for the setting;'

What discipline problems would count as unreasonable for a primary school setting? Is it unreasonable for the school in particular, or unreasonable for primary schools in general?
    Would this be a suitable argument to transfer classes?

5. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

If you have not received adequate support you need to contact the NQT induction 'named person' at the local authority. They will support you, and will try to encourage your school to support you.

It's tricky because 'unreasonable' behaviour problems are not defined in the induction literature, therefore are subjective.

If you're thinking in terms of all primary schools, I suppose you might take that to mean you should not be expected to deal with the sort of behaviour you'd normally see in a PRU or young offenders institute (or whatever they're called) for primary kids. If you're thinking in terms of your own school, look at the behaviour policy - what sort of behaviours result in inclusion or exclusion? Those sorts of behaviours are the ones that would not be 'reasonable' for your school, I would say (as in, as they're the most extreme that could be expected, it would not be reasonable for you to deal with them on a daily basis).

What sort of behaviour are you dealing with?

6. Guitargirl28

Physical violence towards other pupils and staff. Weaponising. Verbal abuse. Complete refusal. Climbing over and throwing furniture and equipment. About 5 or 6 children out of 29.

I've not found out my named person yet? I don't know why I have been told so little.

7. blueskydreaming

School is required, as part of statutory induction, to give you the named person details - but you can google 'NQT named person [xyz local authority]' to find them.

If I were you I'd contact the named person, tell them everything. They will come in and meet you, they could observe you and the children, they might recommend to the school that the behaviour is unreasonable and that you should not be teaching the class.

Contact your union also. They will advise you to make a diary of everything that happens - all incidents, who, when, witnesses.

Are you having regular meetings with a mentor? Are you receiving help and advice in that sense? If not, more to tell the named person.

The named person cannot compel your school to do something, but they can suggest, recommend and try to guide them.

Is it just your class who are like this, or all classes?

8. welshwizard

You should have some sort of NQT Handbook which would provide information and contact details for the Appropriate Body. If not ask your mentor.
    Appropriate Bodies are normally LA's but in some places Teaching Schools are fulfilling the role
    You should also seek support from your teaching union

9. Guitargirl28

Just been given the handbook and information last week so can do that now.
    It is most of the KS2 classes. Meeting with the union next week. My appropriate body isn't the LA but at least I know who it is now. I am having sporadic meetings and a lot of informal support. The more formal support is starting to happen now but the effect of this class is making my mental health decline.

10. welshwizard

Make sure your clearly document your concerns if the induction has been inadequate then there are grounds for an extension of time as well as additional support. This is important as you only have one period of statutory induction

11. watermelongirl65

watermelongirl65 New commenter

Difference between an action plan and support for an NQT?

12. blueskydreaming

Action plan = the things the person needs to improve, and how to improve them, such as marking, behaviour, pace in lessons. Maybe 3-5 things, so as not to overwhelm them.

Support = having mentor meetings, observing other teachers, getting advice on behaviour management or sen students, supportive observations, having access to shared resources, anything else they might personally need such as marking together with someone more experienced, or having someone check their marking, etc.

13. welshwizard

As Blue sky clarifies -A formal action plan is just a clear record of the issues identified with your teaching- there is then information about the support-targets set to be achieved and then a review of the plan. The structure layout varies but the basic principles are the same. It is all about providing clarity in the induction process and a basis for further action by both parties as is needed.

14. welshwizard

So , it the end of term and your first NQT assessment report should be completed by the school. Do use the opportunity to add your comments to the report - even if its only I am pleased how things are going.
    Be clear about the" grading" used- fundamentally ask "is the assessment indicating the induction progress is it satisfactory or not?" All Appropriate Bodies have their own systems but they are essentially based upon the same teaching premise of identifying strengths and also where further development is needed.
    Check through the targets and areas for development- these should form the basis of your induction activity next term.
    If you are receiving an unsatisfactory assessment then do ensure that clear support and a plan to address areas of concern is in place at the start of the New Year.
    Induction is not repeatable , it is a standard 3 terms and the progress report for each term is banked- when we reach February half term your induction year is half way there!

15. watermelongirl65

Back again. Looks as though OH has been placed on informal capability and NQT partner has been advised by union that the school/lea cannot do this to an NQT. Is this true?

16. watermelongirl65

Apparently the school can do that...thanks union for your dodgy advice.

17. blueskydreaming

You partner needs to resign and negotiate an early exit. This will halt their NQT year, and preserve it so they can finish later.

18. watermelongirl65

Yes, he has since contacted the union about resigning and an early exit...if lucky the union will contact my partner in the new year...

19. welshwizard

NQT s can be subject to capability procedures if the situation warrants this however in most cases this is not needed. Can I also suggest you formally complain to the union about the advice received. Be sure to check the negotiated reference

watermelongirl65 likes this.
  20. watermelongirl65

Thanks for the advice, WW!