1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT - Transition Day

Discussion in 'Primary' started by MissKirstyLady, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Hi
    I will be a NQT and have secured my first job for September which I am very excited about. I have a transition day in a couple of weeks where I get to meet my new class.
    I am unsure what activities to do during the day so I will feel prepared for September. What should I do?

2. Hi
    I will be a NQT and have secured my first job for September which I am very excited about. I have a transition day in a couple of weeks where I get to meet my new class.
    I am unsure what activities to do during the day so I will feel prepared for September. What should I do?

3. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Make a list of the things the children say they enjoy doing, make peg labels, learn their names through games. Do some quick maths and English activities to assess ability.
    Get the ch to make a fact file about themselves so you have some background info on each child. Do one yourself for the children.
    Talk to the class teacher about special needs, naughtiness and tips for behavious management. Good luck

4. Thank you!

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I wouldn't bother doing anything at all to assess abilities. You will get assessment data from the classteacher for this purpose and they will forget a lot of things over the summer anyway. No point you having them sit there doing an assessment. Have some fun and relax with them. The only day of the year when no-one is fussing about LOs and SC!

6. greta444

greta444 New commenter

The data isn't always representitive of what they can actually do and how they work. Find out for yourself.

7. wellingtonboot

wellingtonboot New commenter

If you're going to be teaching in a school with more than one-form entry, call beforehand and chat to the teacher(s) who will have the parallel class(es); they may expect that the classes do similar activities on the day or have some time together as a year-group.

8. richbreeds

richbreeds New commenter

Spend time getting to know them.

I always do a circle game first- something like go round and everyone thinks of an adjective to go with their name. e.g first person says I am Amazing Adam, second person says I am Lovely Lucy and he is Amazing Adam etc.... when it comes to you (who are last) you have to remember all the names!!

Also get them to create a factfile.- Name, family, pets, fave food, fave subject etc....

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I agree but don't waste precious time on transition day doing it. Start with those sort of activities in September when you get a real picture of where they are then and there.