1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT Training

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by celago22, Aug 7, 2018.

1. celago22

celago22 Established commenter

Hi all,

I will be starting my NQT year in September and wondered what type of training courses would be beneficial next year and whether anyone has any recommended websites to search for courses (rather than the local authority). Other than observing colleagues, I'm not really sure how I am supposed to use my NQT time.

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

It's not a totally free choice the training you will have access to largely depends on the school as they will be funding it. There will be planned CPD programmes based around any regular training and particularly the school closures days. If the school is part of a Teaching School alliance or similar consortium then there will be a programme based around that.
    The amount of training outside school varies from place to place but generally the amount of out of school training has reduced considerably over the last few years.

3. celago22

Thank you welshwizard! I thought I had more of a choice as to what training I could receive so I'm glad I asked the initial question!

4. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

No problem.You may also find some schools will support postgraduate modules as part of the induction programme in some places these have been integrated into the existing programmes. You do need to be aware that external training is not a mandatory part of induction, although most schools do use external courses it depends very much on their budget priorities. The full Statutory Guidance is on
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/induction-for-newly-qualified-teachers-nqts

5. celago22

Thank you for the link, welshwizard! I'll talk to my school next month about training but I suspect a lot of it will come from observations of experienced teachers.