1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT Trained in Republic of Ireland

Discussion in 'Overseas trained teachers' started by Corrie_Fan, Sep 24, 2007.

1. Corrie_Fan

Corrie_Fan New commenter

I did my Higher Diploma in Art teaching (equivalent to PGCE) in Cork, Ireland. I couldn't get work in Ireland and am now working in a school in West Sussex. The GTC won't register me as I am technically an unqualified teacher until I have completed my three terms induction period. I have had confirmation that the Irish teaching council say it's ok to do this induction period in England. But I'm worried the GTC will not recognise it. The school is aware of my situation and I am currently on an unqualified teacher salary. Can anyone offer any advice about this?

2. Corrie_Fan

Corrie_Fan New commenter

I did my Higher Diploma in Art teaching (equivalent to PGCE) in Cork, Ireland. I couldn't get work in Ireland and am now working in a school in West Sussex. The GTC won't register me as I am technically an unqualified teacher until I have completed my three terms induction period. I have had confirmation that the Irish teaching council say it's ok to do this induction period in England. But I'm worried the GTC will not recognise it. The school is aware of my situation and I am currently on an unqualified teacher salary. Can anyone offer any advice about this?

3. Teachers trained in the Republic of Ireland need to have completed their induction year before they can be recognised in England and have Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) awarded. If this period is to be undertaken in England, as is your case, then you can apply to the GTC for recognition of your Irish qualifications once the period is completed. You will need to complete the EC1 form (available on the GTC website) and provide confirmation from the Teaching Council in Ireland that your induction year has been completed satisfactorily.

Once the GTC receives your completed form and accompanying induction confirmation then we will process your application and, assuming that all the qualification requirements are met, award you QTS.

I hope this puts your mind at rest, but if you do have any queries then please call the Teachers' Qualifications (TQ) team at the GTC on 0121 345 0140.

Steve McCarthy
    TQ Co-ordinator
    General Teaching Council for England

4. I am in a similar situation, trained in Ireland but I do not yet have qualified status and am wirking in the UK. I have spoken to the GTC who have told me that I can unofficially do my induction in the UK nad have it signed and verified by the Teaching Council in Ireland. HOWEVER, the Teaching Council in Ireland said that this is NOT possible and they will not recognise induction completed in UK. Days worked in the UK can be transferred to Ireland but to complete induction, Irish trained teachers need to carry out 100 days of teaching in Ireland during which time they will be inspected. 170 days in total are required, making it only necessary to do 70 days in the UK.
    Why are the GTC giving Irish Trained teachers false information shen the teaching council of Ireland are saying they will not recognise induction???
    With little chance of securing a job at home, I have found myself in a frustrating situation...more frustrating that people are giving me conflicting information.
    If anyone knows any way that an Irish trained NQT can carry out induction in UK..please reply!!!

5. Hi there, I am in the exact same situation as you!!! Been here 3 years now trying to sort QTS and NQT stuff..I even did the NQT year unofficially only to be rejected at the end because I wasn't officially registered with the borough...

been sent in circles by both the GTC, TDA and my prtevious school.. Something needs to change!!#

6. MissRathor

MissRathor New commenter

Hi

I have just come across this same issue for an Irish NQT and have resolved it with her. Therefore, here is the Official Guidance:
    The Irish NQT should undergo induction in exactly the same way as an English trained teacher would. However, at the moment we have been advised that the TCI are only recognising LA's as awarding bodies.
    If the LA has NQT Manager, we can register her on NQT manager and tick the box to indicate she trained outside England so does not have a Teacher Reference Number.
    The National Insurance number is not required for registration.
    The termly reports will then be completed online and submitted as per the normal procedure.
    However, when she completes, the LA and the headteacher must each write a letter to the Teaching Council of Ireland (TCI) confirming successful induction in accordance with the DfE's regulations.
    The letters can be given to the NQT to post to the TCI and the head can post them on her behalf.
    These letters must be on headed paper and signed and must be posted.
    The TCI will not accept letters attached to emails.
    The school must see the NQT's 'registration with condition of Probation' letter which is issued to all Republic of Ireland trained teachers who have completed training successfully before giving her a contract.
    After successful completion of the probationary year (in Ireland) or the induction (in England) the 'condition' is removed and the registration becomes 'Full' indicating that the teacher is fully qualified.

Getting QTS:
    If the teacher remains in England, he / she must obtain QTS which she can do by completing an application form and submitting it together with a copy of the letter of Full registration for the TCI. This will also provide her with a Teacher Reference Number.
    Application forms are on the NCTL website.
    Republic of Ireland trained NQTs cannot be registered with the DfE/NCTL so do not receive induction certificates.
    These teachers must apply for QTS if they wish to continue teaching in England after induction. Application forms are on the NCTL website.

The link to the form for getting QTS is: https://teacherservices.education.g...s.education.gov.uk/MutualRecognition/EEAPage1