1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT to subject leader

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Kidders, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Kidders

Kidders New commenter

Please take no offence when I say this, but i am highly sceptical that you could do the job of a HoD without any prior teaching experience. The fact is the rest of the MFL department would have 0 respect for you as what could you possibly offer them? When pupils are in trouble they often get sent to the HoD and in this instance you would be the least experienced person to deal with them.

Of course this is without even discussing the data, target setting, appointing further members of staff, implementing SoW etc etc etc.

Don't apply, I think it's an error

2. Dear Theo,
    Thank you for your reply. I was rather tired when I made my query and it was not clear! There is a position for HoD yes. A colleague recommended sending a speculative letter in spite of this so I need to check what she meant.
    I should also check if the 'applications from NQTs' welcome bit was a mistake as there is also an anomaly in the date for the deadline.
    Thanks again

3. Thanks for your advice. I can certainly see where you are coming from.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, that's a good plan of action.
    A speculative letter is sent when there is NO job advertised.
    I now wonder, in the light of day, whether what she meant was that you sent a speculative letter about an ordinary classroom post, which doesn't yet exist but might if they appoint internally to the HoD.
    However . . .
    They don't have to advertise if they don't want to, and a small school might not bother if they were sure that they had a good internal candidate. So that could suggest that there won't be an internal application.
    And I also do feel quite strongly that the NQTs may apply bit is a mistake. NQTs are not suitable for HoD positions.
    ¡Que tengas suerte!
    There is now another seminar on Applying for Senior Leadership on 13th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop17.eventbrite.com
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!