1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT to KS3 leader?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by nemunoki, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Hello,

I have just found out that my 'dream school' as it were is advertising a post for a KS3 deparment (maths) leader. I am an NQT, loving my job but finding it hard work. I am ambitious and would relish the idea of spending time in curriculum development and other aspects of the job, but I'm frightened I'm going to be chewing off more than I can handle.

Also, what will my current school think of me? That I'm cocky and think I know it all? It doesn't matter ofcourse unless I apply and don't get the job!

I am hoping someone has either thoughts or experience or advice regarding this quick jump up the career ladder. Am I mad to even think of applying?

Thanks in advance for anyone who takes the time!

2. Thanks for that informative reply about what the role entails, that bit was useful. Is it unheard of that an NQT would apply for this kind of job? I think I am a decent teacher - obviously I will always be learning and there is a lot for me to still learn, but I think I have some good ideas and engage students' well. I also have ideas about curriculum and how to improve students' performance and am learning about using data, something I will do more of - good tip!

Any other advice on what the role would involve?

3. Hi
    My friend is an NQT and a KS3 coordinator. I know it's all to do with data and tracking pupils' progress, identifying underachievers etc.

I don't see why an NQT couldn't do it? Personally I wouldn't feel confident enough to go for it but if you think you can do it go for it :) Why not have a word about it with someone in your dept? Your subject mentor perhaps?

Good luck!

4. y9840125

y9840125 Occasional commenter

I would say - what is the rush? As someone who got promoted every two years before taking time out abroad and then returning to find themselves in an acting 2ic position they weren't really looking for and who will be relinquishing the role through choice come the summer term - enjoy spending time being the best teacher you can be first. Yes, management might be for you but I find it comprimises my teaching way too much for it to be worth doing. Think carefully about what you want from your career.