1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT timetable?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by amye_prendergast, Aug 24, 2019.

1. amye_prendergast

amye_prendergast New commenter

Hi everyone!
    Bit of a weird one, but I'm starting my NQT year, like, next week (eek) and I haven't had my timetable yet. I'm not sure if this is normal? I emailed the school earlier this week to ask about it but I've not had an response! I know it's been results day, but I'm panicking now because I haven't heard anything from them all summer!
    My question is, is this normal? Will I be given all the information on the first day back, or should I email again?
    Thank you!

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

I think it's normal for some schools to be less organised than others. There may be reasons for it, it depends on the school, department and subject I suppose.

Did you attend an induction day, with all the other new starters, in June/July?

From what I can remember from my own NQT year, I think I didn't get my timetable until the first day of school. I'm an English teacher, so on the new starter induction day in July I was told which texts each year group would be studying in the first term, but SOW weren't ready at that point as there were changes to KS3, 4 and 5 that year.

The first day of school is INSET, so you'll be told then. It won't give you much time to prepare, but until you know the students there isn't much point making detailed preparations anyway.

3. amye_prendergast

amye_prendergast New commenter

Ok thank you! No I haven’t been to an induction day or anything like that, but I did get an email from them in June to tell me which texts I would be teaching. Guess I’ll just have to wait until the 2nd then!

blueskydreaming likes this.
  4. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

its normal when you are new to the school to just turn up on the first day and be told stuff. Not all schools of course, but many

5. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

Remember to change your name when you post on here though! And good luck!