1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT timetable help

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by grantgust, Apr 2, 2017.

1. grantgust

grantgust New commenter

Hi,
    when I started my teaching post in September I had a certain timetable and things were going relatively smoothly. For several reasons, a couple of months ago my timetable changed. The problem arose when I realised I was given some extra challenging classes, on top of the horrific ones I already had.
    As a result, I'm now severely distressed. I cry almost every day, I actually fear some classes and I've come to hate getting to school. What is the rule about the timetable you get during your NQT year? Can it be altered? Can you request your old timetable back? What should I do?

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

During the induction your timetable is not meant to change all the time, i.e. every week, but if it does have to change for operational reasons then it is allowed to be changed.

You are not meant to have classes that are unusually challenging for the setting, but that might be a subjective judgement.

If you are struggling with the classes then your mentor and school have a duty to support you - they are responsible for your training and owe you a duty of care. They may be willing to alter your timetable if you talk to them.

You must go to your doctor immediately if you are crying almost every day. They can talk you through your options.

Phone your union for advice, or the teacher support network for someone to listen to you.

grantgust likes this.
  3. grantgust

grantgust New commenter

thank you

blueskydreaming likes this.
  4. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Also, talk to people on here.

Lots of us have had, and continue to have, difficult times at school.

My own NQT last year was awful.

You are not alone.

grantgust likes this.