1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT timescales

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by sroberts88, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I have just completed my primary teaching degree. I have struggles to get my first post but have now been offered a job in a local KS2 class of 1 term of part time and 2 terms full time. Would it be possible to complete my NQT in this time?
    Many Thanks
    Susan

2. Hi,
    I have just completed my primary teaching degree. I have struggles to get my first post but have now been offered a job in a local KS2 class of 1 term of part time and 2 terms full time. Would it be possible to complete my NQT in this time?
    Many Thanks
    Susan

3. In theory you would still have a bit more induction left to finish - how much depends on what proportion your part time term is. So for example if it was 0.5 then you would still have another term at that same percentage or half a term at full time left to complete.
    Having said that you can apply to have induction time shortened by up to 30 days, so if you are contracted to a high proportion, like 0.8, you may find that applying for this may allow you to have finished at the end of the year.

4. As mentioned above it will depend on your part time contract how much time will need to be completed. LAs do have some discretion (up to 29 days) to shorten induction if a fixed trem contract does not allow for completion of induction, but if your contract continues into the next academic year then you would need to complete induction by making up the number of days that you are short. Discuss this with the NQT adviser in the Local Autrhority - they should be able to tell you how many days short you may be and what their recommended course of action would be. This would not affect your pay grade however, youi would still move uop the payscale .
    James