1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT time

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by sll2g09, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Hi . I have this week and next week left until the completion of my NQT year. Its a been a very busy term and I have had several occasions this term where I have not received my NQT time which I have needed for the finishing off of my NQt folder. I have not made a big fuss of this as other staff absences can not be helped and my cover was needed for sick cover. However I myself have had to seek medical advice for a bad back something which does not prevent me from working but requires me to have 2 hours off work this week. I have been told I will be paid but my NQT time will be taken to cover this. Is this correct? Can they do that despite the loss of previous NQT Time?

Many Thanks

2. Legally no, they cannot. You need medical treatment and normally that is allowed and there is no 'pay back'. If you were ill while on holiday, that's your bad luck, you don't get time off school to repay the holiday (though I did read in the news a crazy idea that it was being proposed!!).
    Your legal entitlement is for 10% PPA and 10% NQT which equates to 19% overall. But as said above, some SLTs are easier to deal with than others. If you feel brave you can note any loss of NQT time on the comment section of the final assessment for the LA to look at.
    The Sage