1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT time on return to school

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by Godzillah, May 19, 2020.

1. Godzillah

Godzillah New commenter

Hi all,
    I'm an NQT in a Reception class. The school is making tentative plans for re-opening on June 1st, and have proposed that the whole school will be closed on a Friday afternoon so that all teachers can have PPA without another adult having to take over their 'bubble' of children. With that in mind, what should be the position on NQT time? Whilst I appreciate NQT time is sacred, and would ideally like to keep this time protected, I would also like to protect the children, myself and the TA in the bubble, as well as the other Teacher who would potentially take my class for a morning, after having done some days in another 'bubble'. I would value your opinions and insights.

2. Owleyes00

Owleyes00 New commenter

They probably haven’t even thought about NQT time to be honest. Will you really need it? I’m not convinced how much real planning and teaching is going to happen when we go back. If you have a capable TA or EYP in your class I suppose they might ask them to take the class for half a morning but you would probably be expected to plan for them

3. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

You could suggest that your class is closed all day on Friday. Key worker children could still come in and be looked after by your TA.

4. Caramel2308

Caramel2308 Occasional commenter

I would say be thankful that you have PPA time. My school is really good and even we aren't getting PPA time. As the previous poster said, it is very unlikely that much real planning and teaching will be taking place.

5. Godzillah

Godzillah New commenter

Thanks for your replies. Personally I think it’s a small sacrifice to make for the remainder of term to keep our bubble that much more protected. Just wanted to make sure I wasn’t making a huge faux pas by not fighting for my NQT time