1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT time - correct use? Advice please...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by roseangel, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Is it 10% of 90%? Surely it should be 10% of 100%. !0% for PPA and 10% for NQT. That's what happened in my last school.

2. Consider yourself lucky, I was an NQT the year that the 10% PPA was introduced and only got a morning off for both my PPA and NQT time combined! Sometimes I was even asked to attend meetings during that morning too - not that I'm still bitter of course - GRRR!

3. It works something like this: 10% for PPA - but then 10% of the rest of your teaching time for NQT time - if you calculate it correctly it is something like 5 hours contact time a day so 10% would be 2.5 hours. You are then left with 22.5 hours and 10% of that would be 2.25 hours. In total you should be getting 4 and 3/4 hours of non contact time. If you then totalled the amount of contact hours you have a day normally you could be owing the school 15 mins every week so of the last 7 that would be 1 hour and 3/4.
    This is what I have gathered form the many posts that have come before this one on NQT and PPA time. In reality, some schools work a little longer, a little less, you have to take into account that some schools count assembly as non contact time, some don't, some have 1 hour lunch some have 30 mins and then there are break times, if you cover them, if you don't. You see where I'm going with this?
    The first paragraph is a general rule and if in fact you have been getting a full and whole day away from kids then I think you have to count yourself as lucky :) Good luck!
    p.s I would be ****** off if I had to teach on a designated day of non contact time so I understand where you are coming from.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I would say a total of a day off is normal for NQTs. Yes it should be something like 4.75 hours and most schools have 5 hour days, but hey 15 mins isn't the end of the world.

If you add up the 15 mins, and some schools will, then every 12 weeks you could be asked to work for a morning (3 hours usually) to 'pay back' the time owed.

But that is only about once a full term, so do stick to ensuring you get non-contact, you are entitled to it.