1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT time allocation in academies

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by dt201, Nov 4, 2011.

1. dt201

dt201 Occasional commenter

Hello,
    After reading another thread about NQT time it's made me curious as to whether my teaching hours etc. are about average, both generally and specifically for a secondary academy.
    The problem is I don't know how many lessons a 'normal' teacher works at my school - I've never needed to know really!
    I have 25.5 teaching periods out of a posible 32.5 (including tutor everyday which is a half lesson length), 1 lesson of mentor meeting, 1 full lesson of corridor duty, 1 before school
    duty (15mins), a break time duty (25mins) and an after school duty (15mins), 5 frees (I guess this is my PPA and NQT time combined?). There is also a daily meeting but not long. Oh and we all have to do one after school club a week for an hour. I've done one cover lesson so far this term and I believe/thought I, like any other member of staff, can be asked to do these.
    I'm not complaining just wondering if I'm doing about average or not? Might make me feel better about being swamped with work - hope it doesn't go the other way and find out I have it easy [​IMG]

2. cupcake1788

cupcake1788 New commenter

Hello,

I'm an NQT in an Academy also. I teach 20 out of the 25 lessons. Three of my frees are PPA time and then one hour is used as my NQT meeting and I use my other free for CPD and observing lessons. I have 15 minute duty one morning and a 10 minute break duty one day. I also have a tutor group for the last half an hour of each day. I feel like I'm always swamped with work but I do know that as an NQT we have more frees than other teachers in the school so I am not going to complain!

I haven't had to cover yet :s

I know that as NQTS we are supposed to have 10% PPA and then 10% NQT time so I think yours sounds about right. I'm not 100% though and I guess someone will correct us if we are wrong!

Hope the NQT year is going well :)

3. dt201

dt201 Occasional commenter

Thanks cupcake. Sounds like we're doing roughly the same.
    My NQT year is going OK I think, I'm behind with my marking but I think there's more important stuff to do. I'm so much less stressed than I was on the PGCE (had a very demanding placement - full lesson plans with resources sent to each teacher at least 2 days before every lesson, no existing SOW etc.) but I haven't been told what I need to do for my NQT folder yet so when I do the stress might kick in! I wouldn't say I'm enjoying teaching (sometimes, but not often!) but I'm hoping that will come soon when I'm on top of things a bit more. How's yours going?