1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT through Supply....

Discussion in 'Primary' started by DubNQT, Apr 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. DubNQT

DubNQT New commenter

I completed my PGCE last year and moved abroad to teach for a year.

I reckon Ive probably put myself in a weak interview position as I've not been teaching the English curriculum. Dont regret it as I have had the time of my life, but back to reality. I am thinking of doing NQT through supply.

Could anyone tell me of their experiences doing NQT through supply? Or any long term supply experiences at all really.

Thanks in advance

2. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Why? If you want a career teaching in the UK, your best bet is to just a full-time teaching post and get your NQT year out of the way.

Your teaching abroad for a year will not damage your CV, it will enhance it.

You're not in a weak position, there is a national shortage of good qualified teachers.

galerider123 likes this.
  3. galerider123

galerider123 Lead commenter

Just think- the school gets someone with a year's teaching experience for NQT money...and some interesting stories to share to boot!

Landofla, DubNQT and Pomza like this.
  4. DubNQT

DubNQT New commenter

Thank you for the replies.

My contract is not finished abroad until mid June so I don't think there will be jobs left by then. That's why I'm thinking supply is my best bet of having a position for September.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I got my very first teaching job in the penultimate week of the summer term, so would have been mid July.

There will be plenty of jobs still in mid June, and even some in August, depending on how fussy you are about location and school.

6. carriecat10

carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

If you know your contract finishes mid- June then why not start applying for posts that start in September? You don't need to wait until your contract ends to apply for other jobs. You will actually be in a stronger position than most as you have experience but cost less than others. Good luck!

7. DubNQT

DubNQT New commenter

Cheers for the advice.
    I would love to apply now but I am not back in Europe till mid June so wouldn't be able to do a demo lesson or visit the school which most schools insist on. With any luck there will still be posts in July but just looking for info on doing the NQT year through supply if there's none.

8. bounceback

bounceback Occasional commenter

There are definitely jobs available over the summer. I was offered 2 full-time roles in early September last year through
    supply agencies. I can't do full-time so didn't take them up. One was until the half-term and one for the full term as the schools were still trying to recruit permanent staff. If possible avoid going through agencies if you want a permanent position. Good Luck.

9. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I assume because the OP is abroad and so can't really attend interviews until they return.

10. carriecat10

carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

Ah, I see.