1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT thinking of leaving teaching after two terms...

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by giant_squirrel, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Hey,I am a reader of the forums but never a poster. (This is my 1st post [​IMG] )

I have been an NQT for 2 terms now and I am currently doing long term supply at a school and getting good positive feedback.

Whilst on my NQT 2 term placement, I applied for over 20 jobs, with no avail. Turned out head had given me bad references when I did some fishing, but all my lesson observations and feedback from tutors were good. (huh?) The only reason I could think that they could have anything bad to say was the fact I was off for 2 weeks with a bacterial infection, which if I had gone in, would have jeopardised other staff and the pupils and I couldn't really help that...

I had one interview for a job I REALLY wanted, the interview went prefectly and I personally could not have done any better, but it came down to me and one other person, they got it down to references. The person who interviewed me hinted that I should change my references as she said if it wasn't for that I would have got the job. I actually broke down in tears after the phonecall because I realised what had been happening. I had been totally screwed over by this school. I joined a supply agent and they got me long term cover at a school where the staff are really supportive, but I do have some ‘challenging’ year 10 classes.

After I changed my reference from that school to my new school, I've had 5 job interview offers (this is since june). 2 I have turned down, one lab job (to stay at the school i'm at), one teacher job (seemed a rough school, did not fancy it).

Now I have two teacher job interviews and one lab job interview lined up.

My dilemmas are: One: Should I complain to LA about the school giving me bad reference when all my documentation says 'good'? Its not fair on me (I enjoyed teaching at the school and got cards of my classes and even presents, same with colleagues, i have such fond memories of my top and bottom set y7 classes, it feels tarnished now after that reference! + they could have really damaged my career and future prospects) and I dont know if they will be treating any other staff the same. I care about the staff here as they were very good to me, I would hate to think that other NQT's or staff were getting good feedback and then having this problem when looking for pastures new!!!

Two: Part of me loves teaching, part of me hates it... I love when classes are going well and i have great rapport with KS3 kids (my 2 NQT terms were teaching KS3 only) and on my current placement I teach KS3 & 4.. but find KS4 kids a struggle, to get motivated and with behaviour. I am only 5foot 4 and they tower over me!!!

I wonder as well, if i will be able to cope next year with the workload should I get a teaching job, or what if i end up in a school that doesn't suit? I don't want every day to be a battle and a challenge. The stress side of the job really worries me...
    Part of me wants to give up after being so disheartened with applying for over 20 jobs and no interview, but after learning it was due to a bad reference and getting a new lease of life i've had some confidence instilled in me... but am unsure if i want to keep up with the NQT or go back into lab work.

I do really enjoy teaching, when all the pupils are on task doing a pratical, or produce a really good piece of work... when I can make a class laugh and they say science is their favourite subject, or I have a really good time with my form, I get a real buzz out of it and find it so rewarding. On the converse, when its stressful and I encounter problems, i really wish for a peaceful life. I cannot STAND backchat and hate when kids are disrespectful, which seems to be a fair few in all schools ive been in.

Im really torn what to do anymore, I thought I wouldn't get another teaching job so started applying for labwork, now I have a new lease of life... im so unsure what to do anymore. I know I want to be in science and chemistry... I know that 100% but my head is totally screwed over this decision, especially after being knocked back so many times previously and my confidence taking a big knock.
    I did enjoy being a chemist and upon reflection with it being a skilled job I can earn equal or more than in teaching, with less stress.... but not as rewarding. I have suffered from stress related illness before but overcome it, I feel like whatever I do I will have some regret.... especially when not many teachers seem happy with what they do. What a moany bunch we can be sometimes! :) c'est la vie i guess. I just don't know how many more opportunities will arise like these to stay in teaching or get back into industry.

Any advice?

A confused NQT

2. Hey,I am a reader of the forums but never a poster. (This is my 1st post [​IMG] )

I have been an NQT for 2 terms now and I am currently doing long term supply at a school and getting good positive feedback.

Whilst on my NQT 2 term placement, I applied for over 20 jobs, with no avail. Turned out head had given me bad references when I did some fishing, but all my lesson observations and feedback from tutors were good. (huh?) The only reason I could think that they could have anything bad to say was the fact I was off for 2 weeks with a bacterial infection, which if I had gone in, would have jeopardised other staff and the pupils and I couldn't really help that...

I had one interview for a job I REALLY wanted, the interview went prefectly and I personally could not have done any better, but it came down to me and one other person, they got it down to references. The person who interviewed me hinted that I should change my references as she said if it wasn't for that I would have got the job. I actually broke down in tears after the phonecall because I realised what had been happening. I had been totally screwed over by this school. I joined a supply agent and they got me long term cover at a school where the staff are really supportive, but I do have some ‘challenging’ year 10 classes.

After I changed my reference from that school to my new school, I've had 5 job interview offers (this is since june). 2 I have turned down, one lab job (to stay at the school i'm at), one teacher job (seemed a rough school, did not fancy it).

Now I have two teacher job interviews and one lab job interview lined up.

My dilemmas are: One: Should I complain to LA about the school giving me bad reference when all my documentation says 'good'? Its not fair on me (I enjoyed teaching at the school and got cards of my classes and even presents, same with colleagues, i have such fond memories of my top and bottom set y7 classes, it feels tarnished now after that reference! + they could have really damaged my career and future prospects) and I dont know if they will be treating any other staff the same. I care about the staff here as they were very good to me, I would hate to think that other NQT's or staff were getting good feedback and then having this problem when looking for pastures new!!!

Two: Part of me loves teaching, part of me hates it... I love when classes are going well and i have great rapport with KS3 kids (my 2 NQT terms were teaching KS3 only) and on my current placement I teach KS3 & 4.. but find KS4 kids a struggle, to get motivated and with behaviour. I am only 5foot 4 and they tower over me!!!

I wonder as well, if i will be able to cope next year with the workload should I get a teaching job, or what if i end up in a school that doesn't suit? I don't want every day to be a battle and a challenge. The stress side of the job really worries me...
    Part of me wants to give up after being so disheartened with applying for over 20 jobs and no interview, but after learning it was due to a bad reference and getting a new lease of life i've had some confidence instilled in me... but am unsure if i want to keep up with the NQT or go back into lab work.

I do really enjoy teaching, when all the pupils are on task doing a pratical, or produce a really good piece of work... when I can make a class laugh and they say science is their favourite subject, or I have a really good time with my form, I get a real buzz out of it and find it so rewarding. On the converse, when its stressful and I encounter problems, i really wish for a peaceful life. I cannot STAND backchat and hate when kids are disrespectful, which seems to be a fair few in all schools ive been in.

Im really torn what to do anymore, I thought I wouldn't get another teaching job so started applying for labwork, now I have a new lease of life... im so unsure what to do anymore. I know I want to be in science and chemistry... I know that 100% but my head is totally screwed over this decision, especially after being knocked back so many times previously and my confidence taking a big knock.
    I did enjoy being a chemist and upon reflection with it being a skilled job I can earn equal or more than in teaching, with less stress.... but not as rewarding. I have suffered from stress related illness before but overcome it, I feel like whatever I do I will have some regret.... especially when not many teachers seem happy with what they do. What a moany bunch we can be sometimes! :) c'est la vie i guess. I just don't know how many more opportunities will arise like these to stay in teaching or get back into industry.

Any advice?

A confused NQT

3. First
    of all, well done on completing 2 terms so far! Try not to let the bad
    experiences outweigh the good ones and cloud over your enjoyment in teaching
    (easier said than done, I know!).</font>

<font size="3">Personally,
    I'd say stick with it! You're so close to the finishing line as an NQT (only
    one term to go!); it would be a shame to pack it in after you've come this far.
    Plus, the next school you work in could erase the bad memories.

From what you've said, I get the impression that you'd always regret not going
    back into teaching. Maybe it will re-spark your love of teaching, or maybe it
    will highlight that teaching is not something you wish to pursue anymore.
    Either way, you'll have your answer and can avoid looking back thinking
    "what if...?" </font>

<font size="3">The
    concerns you raise are valid, and I can definitely relate to the
    stress/workload worries. But let&rsquo;s say you did take another teaching job that
    resulted in you becoming truly unhappy, there is nothing stopping you from
    resigning - it is ultimately your life, and you shouldn't spend the only one
    you get being unhappy; an unhappy teacher may well be picked up by your
    classes, possibly making their behaviour/ your stress worse, creating a
    downward spiral...

With regards to the reference- was it definitely a bad reference, or was it
    just a case that the other applicant had better ones? How did you find out that
    your reference may have been negative?

Also, what do you mean by bad? References must not contain misleading or
    fictitious information. However, they do not have to be glowing reports either
    - some may simply state that Person X worked at Place Y doing Job Z for ABC
    amount of years (and although this is simple, and a little cold, it does not
    constitute 'bad' even though it is not what the employee would call 'good'.</font>

<font size="3">Whatever
    you do, don&rsquo;t be put off. You&rsquo;ve obviously been good enough to get 2/3rds of
    the way through, and that&rsquo;s no fluke! You&rsquo;re clearly a good teacher, and as
    frustrating as it can be to get rejected, persistence is the key. </font>

<font size="3">You can do it! =] </font>

4. Apologies for the double post and formatting issues- I'm unable to delete or change the font etc!