1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT- The Help and advice thread

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Looby_Lou14, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Looby_Lou14

Looby_Lou14 New commenter

Hi everyone,
    After reading numerous threads about how people are unhappy at their school, struggling to find a work/life balance and seeing generally how unhappy people are, I thought I would start a new thread where we can help each other.
    I am hoping that this thread will be a friendly place where we can all ask each other for help, support and use it as a 24/7 NQT mentor meeting with people who are going through the same thing at the same time.
    Some ideas fot this thread could be
    • Asking for practical advice
    • Helping each other develop their PDP files
    • Helping to collect evidence for core standards/ completing NQT paperwork
    • Offering general advice and tips- organisation etc.
    I know there are literally thousands of threads with this content but I thought it would be nice to have it all condensed into one place.
    I am a Secondary NQT but there is no reason why everyone can't pass on their tips and question- what do we all think?
    Looby x

2. Thanks v much for this. It is very helpful and I have startedd using it already.

3. helen131

helen131 New commenter

We need evidence for our NQT year? My mentor has never mentioned anything about this before, do I need it for the end of year report?

4. Looby_Lou14

HI Helen,

We need to meet the 40-odd Core Standards (go on to the TDA website and you should find a link to them!) which are a bit like the QTS standards that we had to meet in our training year (sorry if you already know this!)

In terms of evidence I don't *think* you absolutely must have it but in terms of meeting our standards we will/do need to prove that we have met them.
    A lot of people just bullet point their evidence, e.g:
    For a standard that covers contact with parents, you could bullet point
    * parents evening- year 7 13.2.12
    * Email home regarding Joe's behaviour 3.1.12 etc.

I haven't had any support from school myself so my folders are pretty much empty, however I (and I am sure others are) have decided to start a folder where I can collect 'hard' evidence for the standards, so I'll be putting photocopies of emails home, lesson observation feedback etc...
    This way *if* I or the school is moderated (especially as I am moving schools at Easter to a different Local Authority) I have hard proof and evidence that I have actually met the standards I have said I have!

I hope this helps, and keep coming back here as everyone is lovely and we are all supporting each other through this hard year!
    [​IMG]

Looby x

5. Looby_Lou14

Chicky I love this!
    12 hours work- I am impressed!!
    Having said I need to/could do/should do the above... it is now 7pm and I am only just starting the planning for next week so I am mostly feeling [​IMG] to keep me going... ooops!

Oh well. I am now re-addressing the situation as I still need to blitz the house (I have this OCD thing where the house MUST be spotless on a Sunday night for a calm Monday.. yet py Tuesday it's normally a pig sty again), have a bath and wash my hair, clean my horse's tack (as it is revolting!), make my lunch for tomorrow, iron my school clothes in the hope that i actually did put them in the wash this week... are you getting a fuller picture of what my life is like? Haha

So the plan for this evening:
    * Plan Tomorrow's and Tuesday lessons only
    * Write a 'to-do' list schedule in my diary so I work properly in my PPA time and after school so everything else gets done.

Happy Sunday evening everybody and once I have done my work (I will, I will!) I am going to have another scan on the resources to see if there is anything else on there that may help!

Looby

6. Thanks Looby Lou,
    What a fabulous idea - know we can actually help each other. I am top end primary if there are any NQTs who want to brainstorm ideas or need plans that I may have to help them. The favour can also be returned. Just inbox me.
    Again
    Thanks Looby Lou