1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT term

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Jesus999, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Jesus999

Jesus999 New commenter

Dear Officer, an officer from 'help@tes.com gave me this link 'https://community.tes.com/forums/career-clinic.2129/' and suggested me asking the questions here:
    I would like to ask questions if you don't mind: May I do NQT term 2 again at the new school? If I do not tell my new school that I have finished two terms of NQT, will they find out?
    Thank you and answers will be important for me and I appreciated your support,
    Look forward to hearing from you,

2. DrYu

DrYu New commenter

In all new settings, you will have to complete a minimum of ONE school term if you continue the NQT process.

The new school will have your records from the AB.

3. Jesus999

Jesus999 New commenter

Hello thanks for the answer, but what does 'AB' stand for?

4. DrYu

DrYu New commenter

Appropriate body - eQulitas, or IStip, or sometimes Local Authroity

The "organisation" that assesses your induction, which makes the final call.

5. Jesus999

Jesus999 New commenter

Thank you again for the answer, the last question I would like to ask is:
    my colleague told me that the 3rd term (final term) of NQT is most important, which mean if we pass the first 2 terms of NQT, but did not pass the final term, the induction year might fail. However, if we did not pass the first 2 terms or pass either 1st or 2rd term, but succeed the final term of NQT, the induction year will be passed, is it correct?

6. DrYu

DrYu New commenter

Is is really up to the school and AB. But in short, yes, the last term of the most important.

If unfortunately, you did not pass, you have 20 working days to appeal to TRA. But in most cases, an extension would be given before they fail you straight away.

7. Jesus999

Jesus999 New commenter

Thank you, now I made sense. Hopefully, the last school is the right and good school.

8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Not quite, unless things have changed in the last couple of years.

The first two terms merely judge you as 'on track to pass' or not. You don't pass or fail those terms in themselves. The last term is the one where a judgement is made to pass or fail the year.

You must be totally accurate in your application to a new school, giving the correct dates of employment and so on. Yes, your new school will know there are concerns about whether or not you will pass, but they will get this from your reference. However, many people move schools after two terms because they may not pass if they stay in their first school and yet go on to pass with flying colours and have a great career.

9. Jesus999

Jesus999 New commenter

Thank you, yes, to find the right and good school is most important.

10. Jesus999

Jesus999 New commenter

Dear mates, I am going to ask if the first degree is psychology and gained it in the UK, but the PGCE is about a language teaching, can I teach psychology at secondary schools at all? Or do I have to gain some training before teaching psychology? Thank you.

11. DrYu

DrYu New commenter

There might be a SKE or some CPD you would be attending.

12. Jesus999

Jesus999 New commenter

Thanks, would it be possible to give more details about SKE information? Including the location etc.

13. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Your PGCE qualifies you to teach, so it's really a question of whether a school is confident that you can teach psychology. An 11-18 school which wants to offer A-level psychology is unlikely to have more than a couple of groups, so they need either a part-timer (possibly prepared to work quite a bitty timetable) or someone willing to teach another subject to make up the timetable. That may make it hard for some of them to find someone with training/experience in the subject, so they might take on someone with your background. However they might be reluctant to take on an NQT to do this, as there wouldn't be another psychology teacher to support you.

I don't know if it still happens, but it used to be that if you had an interest in a second subject, you could sometimes ask about having one of your placements in a school that offers it, and perhaps get to do at least some observation or helping out with lunchtime revision sessions.

14. Jesus999

Jesus999 New commenter

Thank you for the message, I might need to require it at school and ask them to let me observe some psychology lessons, in case, I can do some cover work from the very beginning.

15. Jesus999

Jesus999 New commenter

Hello, I did not say that I am not on track on NQT year.

16. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Then why leave the NQT year part way through?

17. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

You do not pass or fail terms 1 or 2 of your BAR tear. You are assessed as being in track to meet all the standards by the end of term 3, or not in track. If the latter occurs, the school is supposed to put in support measures to help you. The only verdict that matters is the one at the end of the Induction period.
    if the indications are that they will fail you on term 3, you should leave before they can make that decision.

18. Jesus999

Jesus999 New commenter

Yes, I think the right.and.caring school is very important, some left the school because not effective support.